Thread: Winter question

Hybrid View

How do you over winter bees in a topbar?

Not exactly sure of the question. I've overwintered them in a long medium hives. The long medium hives have a SBB so I close up the SBB and make sure they have plenty of stores.

I don't have a SBB on my TBH so I will just make sure they have plenty of stores.

I've never wrapped my hives. I'm considering it for nucs this next winter, but I don't think I'll mess with it on the TBH. On the other hand my sons do roofing and have access to a lot of scraps of styrofoam. I might glue some of those in the outside of the TBH. But I probably won't get around to it.

From all I've read bees move up the hive consuming stores as they make thier way to the top. Do they move latteraly in a topbar? How do they keep from starving?
    MIKI

Yes, they move laterally. Bees live in whatever is available and adapt quite well.

My bees in vertical hives did not move up gradually. Not this last winter anyway. The all went straight to the top and stayed there with two and three and even four boxes of stores below them.