Thread: Got some Bees!

Okay, I finally got a nuc of bees from a fella that I met here on the forum. I have them in the first tbh that I built (19" bars, 8 1/2" deep, 44" long. I got them home and set the hive up late Wed evening and opened them up a bit. Today I watched quite a few bees comming back to the hive loaded down with pollen, so I think they are off to a good start. My question is this:
    My top bars pretty much seal up the top of the hive, but the six frames that I got have been space between each one. Right now, I have the top of the frames covered with wood so the bees could not get out in the car on the way home. Should I leave something over the frames (similar to an inner cover) or should I take that board off and let the top be open? The cover to my tbh does not enclose the top of the hive on each end because of the 2x4 "Handles" that stick out. I plan on opening it up tomorrow for a quick look since I will be leaving town on Sunday for five days.

Hi Doug,

I would leave the board on.

Happy Tbhing
    Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I went through the hive today and everything looks great. They are busy making new comb on my top bars and everything is, for the most part, straight. There was one peice of comb that was out of place. It was a small peice so I just removed it. I dont have a smoker yet, but the bees were very gentle. I did not have gloves on..just a pullover jacket and veil and did not get a single sting.
    Thanks for everyone input. I think I am really going to enjoy taking care of my bees.
    Doug

I will be back into the the hive either today or tomorrow. I would like to start taking the nuc frames out of the hive and migrating the top bars in their place. Whats the best way to accomplish this?
    Thanks,
    Doug Wise