Heyas,

It's all built, painted and set up, and a swarm has moved in as well

I've never done any wood work, but getting stuff cut to size by the timber merchant and putting 4 bolts and about 20 screws in wasn't all that hard. It didn't need a lot of measuring either, and there wasn't much that could go wrong and not be compensated for. (bliss)

So, after 30 minutes of fiddeling around with this, I was ready to paint it dark green with undercoat. I had a friend hold stuff for me a few times, so its definitly a 4 hands project)

The bottom is made from a 1m piece of PVC pipe which is strapped to the hive with pieces of fabric elastic held by screws. It can be removed for cleaning, or, if you insert wire to make a gap of 1-2mm(?) you could probably expect the mites to fall through that as a bonus.

(note to self: I need to paint that roof asap. I know, it shouldn't be plastic, but I can't think of a simply way of making a plywood roof. Everything I can think of involves 'woodwork' (yuck). The entire point of this hive is that its makable by anyone, eg its as close to flatpack as it can get

I've watched the bees today a bit and they seem to have some problems landing smoothly and quite some navigational problems seem to occur as they tried to decide where to land and even how to take off(some impressing kamikaze stunts took place . I don't know if that is because they are learning the place or because its unintuitive for bees to have such an exit. So I better find a way of modifying this unobtrusivly I think.

Also, when can I peep in to check that they are reading the little 'build here <-' signs I've left about?

I note they've evicted the fallen wax pieces, and also, I'd left some 1:1 sugar syrup in there as feed -- now, how did that end up dried on the outside?

Some piccies are here:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hex...bein/my_photos

Let me know if you have any simplifications, or other tricks that could make the design even easier to put together.

Cinnamon