Nice pictures Scott, nice job working with your son like that!
I like the adjustment end piece on your TBH. I have had some problems as the weather warmed up with expansion of my top bars. I like the idea of a piece at the end that can be adjusted to account for swelling of the top bars. I think I will make one with a slot to permit more movement.
Have you had any problem with that? Maybe Ijust built them too tight.
My TBH hives are still doing well, no cross comb in any of them except the one that they built up around the queen cage. I have that one pretty well straightened out except for the middle 4 bars. They just kept reworking it. So I have decided to just let them alone and then later move those bars to one end, eventually maybe replace them. But lots of brood in them and I don't want to mess up their building up the numbers...
Cheers to all!
The cleat in the front is firmly attached. It doesn't adjust nor move at all. The cleat in the back isn't attached at all, its just an oversized top bar that's the same as the front cleat. This oversizing of the cleats is what suspends the roof over the whole hive. The bits of the roof that telescope over the ends of the hive are the same on the front and back, after I have put the hive back together and I put the roof ontop, I push the roof forward which compresses all the top bars. That last cleat hangs over the back of the hive some, so the roof can do this without hitting the back of the hive body. It work like a weighted anchor to hold the top bars forward.
OK, thanks for the clarification. Had a strong thunderstorm blow through yesterday, fortunately the sun came out about 5 and I went out to check hives. One of my TBH roofs was blown 50 feet into the clover! Along with half a dozen empty tob bars. None had comb on them. But that hive was buzzing! wide open! So I added another concrete block to the top. other hives, including my 3 langs, were ok. Warning: Bigger roofs need bigger stones!
Yes, I have a full 8 x 8 x 16" concrete block on mine. No problems so far. But that's also what I have on most of my hives. I get several wind storms a year that will blow off a cover with a couple of regular bricks on it.
I'm tempted to buy some 12" x 12" x 2" concrete flag stones. They might weigh less and still hold the lid on.