Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nice pics! Question: What is the purpose/need for the Linseed Oil treatment on the top bars? Looks like you used hardwood. mine are cheap pine. Did you treat both sides?

Wink

From an earlier posting in Bee Forum:
    "It's just a "bee friendly" wood preservative; I do the same with my hive bodies before I paint them. On the frames, I think it helps them last longer by cutting down on the splitting and cracking around the end bars. It's probably a step that's not absolutely necessary but I've got frames that still look new after almost ten years of use. If you decided to do it, leave plenty of time for them to dry (since it's an "oil", it will take a minimum of two or three weeks to dry)."
    --
    On the top bars, yes, I coated both sides of the top bars. The hive photos I posted also have it coated on the outside. I typically don't use it much on the inside of the hive since the bees are going to put a thin coating of propolsis over everything anyway.
    And I don't use more than just a single coat; otherwise the drying time become excessive and also, latex paint won't stick as well.

Lightbulb

Also, about the hardwood comment; my top bars were made from pine too. It was a 1x (one by) that I cut into 19 inch long pieces and then ripped to correct width. In fact, both my top bar hives have been made from scrap wood and thus the price has been virtually "free". Around me, land developers are building whole subdivisions so there's plenty of scrap wood laying around at the various home construction sites. When each home is nearing completion, there are big bens of trashed wood waiting to be hauled off, so it's pretty easy to go pick through these and get as much "free" hive building material as I want.
    --
    A comment about needing a top (I think from a different thread). I also feel some sort of "hive top" is needed. If the top bars are directly exposed to the elements, I think eventually they will warp and not fit the hive spacing properly.

TX

OK, I will put some linseed oil on my top bars. I have it around to finish my old inherited hand tools. (Diston saw handles, etc.) I think I will avoid the splines where I am going to put the wax though. My packages will be ready April 1 so that should give them enough time to dry. As soon as I can find a place to upload my pictures I will do so. I am anxious to hear your comments on my TBH's. I really enjoyed seeing your pics, especially those with the comb and bees.

Here are the specs for my 3 TBH's
    Inside meas. #1 #2 #3
    Top Bar L 17 16 15
    Depth 9 12 12
    Bottom 7 2 3
    Length 40 40 40
    Angle Sides 60 deg.60deg 75 deg
    Each has 11 bars 1 1/4 " and 17 bars 1 1/2" wide
    all meas. in inches.
    Hope the bees like em