Thread: New Beek in PA

Default New Beek in PA

I've been browsing around this forum for the last few days and have found it very helpful and informative. This will be my first year keeping bees and I decided to start with top bar hives for many reasons. I picked up lumber today to build two hives. And I have my packages ordered for April 12. I am basing my design on Bush Farm's guidelines. I was wondering, though, how important it is to have different spacing for brood bars and honey comb bars. I don't have a table saw so it won't be easy to rip wood for smaller bars. I got 1x2 wood for the bars, so they will be 1 1/2 inches wide. I can get the wood to a friend's house to rip them, but I have a busy month this month and don't know if I'll have time before my bees arrive.

Default Re: New Beek in PA

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find all the info you need.
    No one famous.

Congrats, Evan!

I'm starting two TBHs this spring, too. MB says they really like their brood comb 1-1/4 on center.

Worst thing that can happen is they get off the bars once they start rolling.
    0 years, 4 empty hive boxes

With comb guides, I never had a problem using 1x2s as the top bars, What would usually happen is they might draw out the top of the comb further than the bottom where the brood is, but for the most part they kept it pretty even. You do need to keep on track with it.

Edit: BTW, you should seriously look at a build a tanzanian TBH at lang dimensions. It makes it much easier to help a failing hive (like say, queenless and in need of brood) from a friend/mentor in the area when his equipment fits yours.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Sovek, I looked into TTBHs but I think the KTBH is more for me. I know a couple other local beekeepers and I also joined my local club. I'm hoping that between these contacts I will be able to get a split If I run into to problems. I know I won't get any brood this way, but it's an option.

When I built my TBH last year I didn't have a table saw to rip the bars to 1 1/4 either.( I have since purchased one.) I used 1 1/2 x 3/4 x 17 top bars with a triangle starter strip. My hive is doing very well. Having the bars all the same size makes it easy to manage the hive.

Wow, J-Rat! That thing looks like a Steinway!
    0 years, 4 empty hive boxes

Thanks. It was fun to build and I really enjoy bee keeping. I'm hoping to catch a swarm this spring as I built a lang. hive.

That is a beautifully built hive. That hive is a bit more intricate than my plans. I will be using tongue depressors for guides and some tin roofing I already have on hand. Maybe next year I will build some nicer hives. Maybe a table saw is in my future.

Nice hive, welcome to the forum.
    Natural Beekeeping Information at
    http://georgefamilycrafts.com/

Nice work J Rat !!!