Default new bait hives, have old comb

i've ordered pkgs (pickup early May) for my 2 TBH and have also purchased 3 TBH bait hives. i have some old empty comb, and could use this during swarm season.

need some guidance.. should i use LGO in bait hives or just the old comb or a combination of both?

tho its early in my area, i've seen some bees sniffing around the TBHs that have drawn comb.

should i place the bait hives away from the TBH?

thx,
    Krista

Default Re: new bait hives, have old comb

"need some guidance.. should i use LGO in bait hives or just the old comb or a combination of both?"

One old frame and 3 or 4 drops (no more) of lemon grass oil. Refresh the oil once every 7 to 10 days if its convenient.

"should i place the bait hives away from the TBH?"

I would like it to be about 400 yards away from existing hives, but many (if not most) swarm trappers would disagree with me, and bees will move in close to an existing hive.
    Beekeeping is "the poetry of agriculture." Baron von Ehrenfels.

In addition to whatever answers you get here, don't forget that there is a Swarms... forum below the Topbar forum.

>Refresh the oil once every 7 to 10 days if its convenient.

I drip LGO on the floorboard and a comb and never refresh it. My most active traps this year have not been baited yet.

Last year was the first year putting out traps. Of 6 that I placed, 3 swarms were caught, all within 20' of other hives (2 of these didn't come from the nearby hives).

Oh yeah, they all had one drawn brood comb, the rest foundationless and a q-tip with a drop of LGO in a slightly open plastic baggie.