Thread: Feeders for TBH

Question

Whay kind of feeders are you putting in yout TBHs ? I have an entrance feeder I wag going to use when my packages get here that will double nicely as an entrance reducer. But I know there are drawbacks to entrance feeders, especially in weak colonies. I was thinking of making a top bar with a board to split the hive, and put an entrance on it the same size as the entrance to the entrance feeder.That way the feeder would be in the hive body, but behind the last top bar, so that I could change the feed as often as necessary until they are doing well with minimal disturbance. Once they colony has drawn some comb and is doing well I could then remove it, put some extra bars in let them fill the hive with pretty comb and honey. Any suggestions? Easier Ideas? My hives have 16 inch top bars (18 inches total) and one holds 24 bars, and the other more than that. How much area (#of bars) would you leave in front of the feeder for a 3 pound package.

I am going to use a false wall(follower board) as well. Boardman feeder a just mason jars with hole punched in the lid but with a special box made for it to slide into the enterance. I have had good luck feeding over the inner cover with jars having holes punched in the lid. I plan on setting the quart jars on pieces of 3/8 wood to hold them up so the bees can get to it. These will be placed just in front of the false wall. As to how many bars, I think about 6 to 8. This is larger than a 5 frame nuc which is what most say is best to start packages in. I plan on giving plenty of room ahead of them drawing bars. Your Idea of giving them the entrance feeder should work well but it calls for you making 2 board and the one will not be used after they are going good.

I was goign to construct a division board feeder like thing.

Another alternative is to make a 3 petalled flower of 3 boardman feeders and place it as a "feeding station" a short distance from the hive. As far as I know this also help limit the robbing instinct. At least so I have heard.

>Another alternative is to make a 3 petalled flower of 3 boardman feeders and place it as a "feeding station" a short distance from the hive. As far as I know this also help limit the robbing instinct. At least so I have heard.

I don't know about a "short distance". I'd prefer a "long distance". A few hundred yards would nice, but I never get that luxuray because if I went that far I'd be by my back door.

Feeding during a dearth almost always sets off robbing. In hive, out of hive open feeding etc. Of course the other thing about open feeding is it depends on if there are other bees in your area besides yours. You could be feeding all the neigbor's hives.

I AM doing open feeding right now in the hopes that it will decrease robbing. But I don't know if it helps that much anyway. I do have a few feral bees that show up now and then. I'm guessing they are a good distance away since they don't show up that often and not in great numbers.

I know another new beekeeper here in maryland that started a packagte of bees last year with no feeding, and they did fine. I thought about that, but I am getting my bees pretty early, April 3rd, and also am not using a Lang' that already has foundation in it so I thought they would benfit from some supplemental feeding (maybe a pollen patty or two as well?)at least until they have some comb built and some pollen in.

http://www.beesfordevelopment.org/fi...bar-bfdj38.pdf

here is another Idea for a feeder that fits in to the hive, it looks like a bit more work though.

You could do the baggie feeder. take nice thick syrup (corn syrup is thick enough) or your own honey and put it in a baggie and poke some holes or slits in it and put it in the back of the hive on the bottom.
    http://www.beesource.com/eob/baggie.htm

Here is some info on a baggie feeder. It's usually on the top bars, but I don't know why it wouldn't work on the bottom.

What I did on my first tbh (since I didn't want a standard size front entrance) was built my own entrance feeder that would hold a one gallon jar, and I cut a notch out of the side of the hive just the size needed for the feeder I built. I put a supporting brace on the hive stand to support the weight of the gallon feeder. Since the feeder was located toward the back of the hive, and nowhere near the entrance, I didn't have a problem with other bees trying to rob it. I'm going to build another tbh this year and use the same method.

Lightbulb

I'm using a standard "entrance feeder" (holding a half gallon jar).