The Crowder Hive is based upon a design using 1 x 10 inch lumber.

I like the design so cut out end pieces from 2x scrap, went looking for 1 x 10 sides and bottom boards.

Lumber yards advise me that they no longer stock 1 x 10 materiel but could order it if I wanted enough of it to make it worthwhile.

Be advised: If you want to build a hive to the Crowder design you may have to either cut down 1 x 12 materiel or use some other alternative.

In my case the yard sold me a 10 foot piece of 1 x 12, then found that they had no tens in stock, loaded a l4 foot piece onto my truck and sent me on my way.

I have never had trouble buying 1 x 10s. I will look again next time I'm at the Lumberyard.

What does a Crowder hive look like?

Nevermind, I went back and looked it up again.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited February 18, 2004).]

Lowe's and Home Depot has 1X10s. Just priced them last Saturday. I think it must be that store(I know how small towns are). 1X10s are not used as much as 1X12s. 1X8s are also use alot so they just do not carry the 1X10s because what few ask for them can cut down a 1X12 like you are doing. My local stores do not carry 1X10s either, But they are not a special order item(no deposit required) and there is no extra cost when I get them to get me some.