Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Everyone knows my preferences for a top bar hive. I just wanted to chime in about the 3 box medium top bar hive you are talking about. I think that with bars that wide and bottoms that wide that you might not have a problem with side attachements, but that you'll experience bottom attachments.

What do you think? I am curious. It will be interesting to watch.

I am playing with 3 hives each to a similar but different design based on the dimensions outlined at the beewiki.

Check it out.

------------------
    --
    Scot Mc Pherson
    BeeSourceFAQ: <A HREF="http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/beewiki/

Linux" TARGET=_blank>http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/beewiki/</A>

Linux is a Journey, not a Guided Tour" ~ Me

"Do or not do, there is no try" ~ Master Yoda

Scott:

How does one get to your FAQ site?
    Ox

&gt;I just wanted to chime in about the 3 box medium top bar hive you are talking about. I think that with bars that wide and bottoms that wide that you might not have a problem with side attachements, but that you'll experience bottom attachments.

I don't think I would except I also have a SBB on it. So I might have problems with bottom attachments. We will see.

Oxankle,
    Take a look at my sig

------------------
    Scot Mc Pherson
    BeeSourceFAQ: http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/beewiki/

"Linux is a Journey, not a Guided Tour" ~ Me

"Do or not do, there is no try" ~ Master Yoda

[This message has been edited by Scot Mc Pherson (edited February 16, 2004).]

scsasdsa,
    I think your dimensions have pretty much hit it "right on". As I've posted before, I don't think the 19-inch TB length plays a factor in comb failure. With the depth limited to 12-inches and the sloped sides (and thus, the natural shape the comb will take) should be just about right. In fact, once I put in place my 'wider' bottom board, I believe I'll end up with dimensions not greatly different from yours. I expect the comb should handle the suspended weight without difficulty (especially in your cooler VT climate). As your summer goes along, please keep us posted.

Michael Palmer, and anyone else that makes their own foundation or starter strips,

Have you made whole-sheet foundation (without embossing) and had it work smoothly? (drawn-out pretty clean). I guess this was done in the early days of "foundation production". Does anyone have advice on how it worked?

I am trying to decide between using the Un-founation method, like Michael use; and providing just a thin foundation with wiring hoping for straighter and stronger comb.

What say ye?
    Wayacoyote

Hi all!
    I have made two different top bars for my TBH the first with a groove cut the length of the bar filled with wax, the second beveled from both sides leaving a spline about 1/4" wide the length of the bar.
    I attempted to match the pitch of natural comb with the bevel I will just rub the spline with bee's wax and see whick they work better. I'll keep you posted.Still getting near zero nights here, getting the itch to go play with the girls.
    good beekeeping!

&gt;I attempted to match the pitch of natural comb with the bevel

I tried this before and it works ok, but I think a steeper angle works better. My new ones are 45 degrees on each side. Your spline may help too, I didn't do the spline.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324