Ok, I've downloaded and installed the latest version of Java. Got a username and password. The login screen looks good. I try to log in and get the error message:
    "Error connecting to server. Please try again in a few minutes."
    Needless to say, when I try again later I get the same message.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Dan
    Bizzybee or BillyBob should bee along to help you with your problem, they are the computer gurus that keep this part of beesource going.

Most of us just chat welcome aboard look forward to seeing U on chat.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Hey Beemandan:

I just logged in and I had no trouble. Did you restart your computer when you installed the latest Java? If that doesn't help check your fire wall settings. You can also go to this site and see if it can help you any.

http://help.addonchat.com/

The server could have been down, almost never happens but you never know. If you still have trouble after all of this let me know and we'll try something else.

BB

Hey BB....I continue to get the same message. Happens on both my desktop and laptop. If there are any particular firewall settings that need to be changed I'll be happy to try. Mine are currently set to their default......although I am using zonelabs firewall on both. I set the alarm level to notify me if there were any 'events' and then tried to log on. Got the same error from the server without any firewall flags.
    I may just be chat room 'challenged'.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Beeman, hard to say? I haven't used zone alarm in quite a long time. But know that it can be a little persnickety at times. You may need to find your exceptions and add in the website? But, if you were getting in before and now you don't? That doesn't make sense, as the website hasn't changed, nor ports or protocols.

I use Windows and Linux and get in with both. But I do know you can't get there from here with a 64 bit browser, cuz java hasn't made it to X_64 yet.

Best place I can recommend to start, is to find out what works first. Go here http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and test your java installation. Hopefully you'll find your answer there! But at least rule out java afore you start banging away at firewall settings. There is some help near the bottom of the page there too.

Good Luck!!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I appreciate the reply Biz. I disabled my firewall long enough to try to log in. Still got the same message. I don't think its my persnickety zone alarm. Java seems to work. Not only using the link you provided but I also use it for several applications.
    I'm running WindowsXP. Nothing fancy. I am using IE version 7.
    For what its worth this was my initial attempt to log into the chat room....I haven't ever been 'in' before.
    Once again....probably just some form of cosmic resistance....

Beeman, I haven't given up on you! I have been looking around and trying to find something that may help.

I'm just a little covered up at the moment and can't spend the time. But I don't want to have you run away cuz you can't get in. I know everyone would love to meet you in the chat room!! We like new folks a lot. We need more brains in there. That's for sure!!!

The message you are getting does suggest that you are being blocked from the server though. The chat server is external from the Beesource server.

You can open the java console and see if the applet is loading from sigmachat. I kinda doubt it? You can get to the console in IE7 from the tools menu on the right side of the toolbar.

There are many places that can be blocking you, as ZA does mingle with application settings as well. Or used to I should say. Please don't think I'm bashing ZA. They are quite trusted by many folks!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Biz, no problem. There's no hurry on the chat room thing. At the moment it is more a curiousity. By the way the from the Java console it does appear that the applet is indeed running and is loading from sigmachat.

Dan, by any chance, did you forget to pay your monthly chat roomm user fee? You can make that check out to BjornBee, and mail to........ [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Bjorn... YOU Goof!! LOL that check is supposed to come to ME, buddy!!!! lol hmmm did I even pay up yet?? oops!

Anyway, beemadan......hope you can show up soon. I know bizzybee and billybob are working on it for you...soo you just follow there lead, and I am sure you will join us soon!! Until then, Happy New years and see you soon! Beesource chat is a fun and informative place. Just US being US normal beeks..we have different experiences there, given our experiences with bees, but are all honored as individuals. Just me, Pkwilbur