group.

The following are suggestions and in no way
    meant as criticism at all. If it is taken
    that way, my apologies in advance.

*In the future it would be helpful to have
    the speaker post a brief summary of what
    they are involved in and current projects,
    or perhaps a link to a site doing so. Have
    this posted a week or two before the event.

*Prior to the chat room discussion we could
    all think out questions before hand and send
    them to the moderators or post them. These
    would be sifted through by the moderators
    and selected ones forwarded to the speaker
    well before the event.

*On the evening of the speaker the first few
    minutes, or more, would be a posting of those
    formulated questions (one at a time) and a
    response by the speaker to that particular
    question. This would be followed by an open
    question/answer period.

Just my thoughts.......

Again, what a great idea and venue!! Thanks.

It was a nice event, and the free for all extended hour afterward was a real bonus.

I agree with Sundance's suggestions, we all know that this is a work in progress, but there could be some smoothing out in a few areas.

At one point they ran out of questions, and a few questions were not addressed after being posted.

For the most part I thought it was a great hit and I am glad to have been a part of it.

My thanks to Jennifer and the BB's as well.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

"*In the future it would be helpful to have
    this posted a week or two before the event."

Billy Bob had posted a link from the UGA in the Beesource chat room section. Actually it is the post which is stickied above this one.

http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/

Definately a great experience, that will only get better with more repetitions.

Thank you Jennifer.

Thanks to Jennifer

Thanks to Bill & Steve

We have seen a lot of improvements in the chat room and this was one of the bigest and went well for a "first" time and I am sure it will only get better

P. S. thanks to Barry, about forgot he started this hole thing, BARRY U da man
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

GREAT time we all a bit rusty butwill improve with time

Smile

Thanks everybody

I spoke with Jennifer this morning and she really enjoyed chatting with all of you last night. She even said that she may come back…(can’t believe she like you guys that much) lol

Over all I think the visit was a success and most you who attended enjoyed it. As far as the comments/suggestions above, I agree. The questions were coming fast and Jennifer needed time to respond or the questions would stop… Second Bizzy and I were trying to group like questions together, which left some questions hanging for several mins before we got around to posting them. When we received like questions one would end up being kicked, and I’m sure this didn’t set well with our users/members.

Bizzy and I will get the ironing board out and see if we can smooth out the next visit, and you guys keep the comments and suggestions coming.

BB

hello with the moderators on chat room why not let people post directly to speaker. they could always boot rude people out I felt short changed my questions were ignored completely. they were not off subject or rude.
    I think more could have chance to express there ideas too.
    Don========and that's my 2 cents

Hey Don,

The chat room was set up this way so we could maintain a formal discussion with a guest speaker, while controlling the content of the post. This allowed a question and answer secession that was clear and easy to understand. Of course, it was our first run and there are several changes and adjustments that need to be made as many have suggested above. But, after the visit in the “Swarm”, Jennifer went into the “Hive” and everyone was able to chat openly with her for about an hour.

I’m sorry that your questions didn’t get posted. If I remember, your question was something like, “Does anyone make there own chemical free foundation and had a mill?” The question was open for everyone and not directed to the speaker. Bizzy and I didn’t have the time to ask you to repost the question, but in the future you should think about rephrasing the question before giving up. The question itself wasn’t bad but it would have caused others to answer adding to the heavy traffic flow. This would have changed the direction of the topic and the focus of everyone away from our speaker. In addition, prior to you asking the question Jennifer had just told everyone that they were using small cell foundation from Brushy Mtn.

Your question wasn’t the only one that didn’t get posted. As we do this more we will all get better. I hope this clarifies everything.

BB

I probably sent in too many questions [img]redface.gif[/img] but you could not tell if others were asking questions, in other words a lot of dead space!

Maybe if just the key icon by every ones names were enabled so you could indeed see someone was typing.(does this make sense?)

Seems the after chat in the "hive" went well and I believe she got a better prospective of everyone in there. Ask her which format she liked best!

Enjoyed the chat thanks Bill and Steve for the hard work and a special thanks to Jennifer [img]smile.gif[/img] .
    sc-bee

BB and BB -

From the looks of it, the chat session with Jennifer was a hit! Thanks for all the work putting this together, taking care of the guest speaker and moving forward to make the next chats even better.

Regards,
    Barry
    Regards, Barry

I think Bill has done a pretty fair job up until now. So I'll just pick up where you left off SC.

I wasn't aware that you couldn't see the others queueing up questions. But generally we were having questions coming in at different times as Jennifer touched on the subjects that would spark other questions. So we would get a lot of questions, sort them out and then have more on the way. The one thing I could suggest is that you folks should keep that in mind, blast out you questions and comments and let us keep them in order for the speaker. We'll get to your question in time. But important that you send them when they come to you, so you don't forget when the subject comes around. If that makes any sense? :confused: [img]smile.gif[/img]

So in a nutshell, we would get 8 to 10 questions at a time and not usually all on the same subject. So it did work out quite well after we got the feel for it all to get everyones questions through and in a orderly fashion from one subject to the next. And, if we have a problem understanding a question or need more information we can send a private message to the sender to clarify. Something we cashed in on closer to the end.

When we ended the formal session and moved over to the Hive. Jennifers first comment was, "How do I even try to start to answer all of these questions". Now I ask you this, have you ever met a beek that doesn't like to talk??!

Let me back up a second. Bill and I had the priviledge of being at the Bee Lab with Jennifer for the kick off. Wish you could know how much I wish all of you could have been there with us!! But that's why were doing this on chat huh we can't all be there.

So from that, I can say that from what I was able to gather from Jennifer, she enjoyed our session! Getting your questions and being able to pass on what she could about the UGA Program. She also enjoyed the open chat in the Hive, even though you guys blasted her with twenty questions from 10 different directions at once .

I personally had never met Jennifer before last night. And if first impressions are all they are cracked up to be, I can say that I was honestly impressed by her. She seemed to devour your questions and put her heart into giving you her best answers! She was also genuinely captive to her screen watching what you folks had to say in the open session! I too like Billy can't figure that one out!!

But I suppose she can certainly get on here with a rebuttal.

I think I've said it before and I'll say it again. We got an awesome bunch of folks here!

Oh, and yes, you may have been one the top questioneers if not the top SC But there were some great questions. I only wish there had been more. So don't let that stop you!

Yeah, we sure do got a little growing to do with this. But we'll get there!!

I surely do appreciate all the nice comments that I've gotten and I'm sure Billy feels the same. But I gotta take my hat off to all of you folks!! That was great!! And it wouldn't have been without all of you that showed up!!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

sundance sayz
    "*In the future it would be helpful to have
    this posted a week or two before the event."

Yuleluder sayz
    Billy Bob had posted a link from the UGA in the Beesource chat room section. Actually it is the post which is stickied above this one.

http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/

this link above is not what he or I am talking about, the only thing is that site above hasn't change for years, I just wanted to know where they post what the have found out since that above site was made, that site just says what they are trying to do since the program was started years ago, it contains no reports of anything discovered over the years since the site was first typed. I like Sundance just wanted to know if they (UGA Honey Bee project team) post any of there finds or discoveries in the last 4-5 years since that above site was made. I to enjoyed Jennifer but I missed the first setion and caught everyone in the regular chat. CRS kicked in , try harder for the next guest. enjoyed it
    Ted

Jennifer did shed some light on the breeding programs achievments. With the right questions I believe Jennifer would have provided you with your answers.

In terms of progress with the breeding program, Jennifer had thes answers.

"Jennifer -> The Swarm: Ok, this may take some time. What we are selecting for is resistance to varroa, ie hygienic beh. brood production, gentleness, brood spottiness, and honey production. The greatest increases have come with hy. beh and brood prod. Starting with 60% hy. beh

Jennifer -> The Swarm: and now we are seeing 90% and better.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Brood production started off average and now we are seeing wall to wall solid brood.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Brood spottiness has leveled off but with the increases in hyg. beh. this may decrease. Honey production has also increased but makes sense since we have more bees and healthier ones at that.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Sorry, i meant to say spottiness will increase with increased hyg. beh."

In terms of the small cell, Jennifer had this to say:

"The small cell study is currently being conducted by myself and Bill Owens. The colonies have been in the field since last fall. We have collected our first round of data but at this point there really isn't anything to report. I imagine we will have some information soon."

Thanks Yuleluder, I did miss the main room but was just wondering if they had posted any results online somewhere......
    Ted

Ted,

I know it seems odd but little if any research is posted or distributed online. The main reason is because it doesn’t pay or the researcher gets nothing out of it. Most research will be found in journals like Journal of Apicultural Research, Bee World, etc. This is where researchers and scientist can publish their work to be review by their pears. Anyone can subscribe to these journals…but their content can be extremely monotonous to read.

BB

Billy, there is one thing I wanted to ask but you can give me the answer, are the hives UGA are working with on small cell? I know you use it just wondered if they are researching it?

[size="1"][ January 30, 2007, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: TwT ][/size]
    Ted

The Swarm: Please describe the "small cell study"

The Swarm: any hopeful signs?

Jennifer -> The Swarm: AT this point we are entering our 5th generation and are seeing results. Hygienic behavior, brood production are on the rise.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: drobbins- Good question. This is the hard part for any breeder program.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: We have not reached that point as of yet, but it's inevitable.

The Swarm: Along regression lines, what was the source of your small cell comb? Natural built, wax foundation, etc

The Swarm: On the SC study..... What was your regression technique? The Swarm: What stock of bees are in the small cell test?

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Our small cell comb was small cell foundation from Brushy Mtn (dadant)

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Our regression technique was we started with bees reared in small cell therefore already regressed.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Italian bees

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Sorry, bullseye bill, they were Italian

The Swarm: Deep brood boxes or mediums and also top or bottom entrances

Jennifer -> The Swarm: powernapper. We are using deeps only at this point.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: and bottom entrances

The Swarm: What was your source for SC bees?

The Swarm: Screened bottom boards

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Sundance...Italians donated by bill owens

Jennifer -> The Swarm: pn...solid bottom boards

The Swarm: Have you considered the fully drawn SC plastic? Honey Super Cell

The Swarm: anything being done to combat small hive beetle

Jennifer -> The Swarm: sd...no

The Swarm: any ferals left in sc and ga?

Billy Bob -> The Swarm: SC...Yes tons of ferals

Jennifer -> The Swarm: dallas....there are some studies looking at chemical controls other than cuomaphos but not our lab. We just finished a threshold study but the data is not complete finished.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Dang I hate this keyboard

The Swarm: what treatments have been used on the hives

Jennifer -> The Swarm: pn....none (no treatments)

The Swarm: Could you give more details about your statement "Hygienic behaviour, brood production are on the rise"?

The Swarm: You're doing just great.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: thanks!

The Swarm:

The Swarm: Did Bill Owens have prior experience with small cell?

Billy Bob -> The Swarm: Billy Bob = Bill Owens ......Yes

The Swarm: lol

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Ok, this may take some time. What we are selecting for is resistance to varroa, ie hygienic beh. brood production, gentleness, brood spottiness, and honey production. The greatest increases have come with hy. beh and brood prod. Starting with 60% hy. beh

Jennifer -> The Swarm: and now we are seeing 90% and better.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Brood production started off average and now we are seeing wall to wall solid brood.

The Swarm:

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Brood spottiness has leveled off but with the increases in hyg. beh. this may decrease. Honey production has also increased but makes sense since we have more bees and healthier ones at that.

Jennifer -> The Swarm: Sorry, i meant to say spottiness will increase with increased hyg. beh.

The Swarm: do you see a relation between aggression & hygiene behavior?

Jennifer -> The Swarm: cmq...no because we are also selecting for gentleness.

The Swarm: Sorry for the confusion, but is the SC study stand alone or are you doing the selective breeding from the same SC stock?

Jennifer -> The Swarm: sundance..no they are completly two different studies.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Thanks Steve, I wish I wouldn't have missed the first hour of the chat......
    Ted

after reading this a few times, it brings up a question I am wondering about, do they think the increase in Hygienic behaviour is a result of SC or could it be the bee's they have been working with, Minnesota Hygienic bee's are suppose to have a high Hygienic behaviour and there not on SC well atlest when they were named.... would yaw know what they are thinking is causing the increase in Hygienic behaviour, SC or Genetics, and BB has a lot of feral hives also, but I dont know what type bee's he gave them feral or bought bee's..... yaw might not can answer this but I was just wondering......
    Ted

--The greatest increases have come with hy. beh and brood prod. Starting with 60% hy. Beh--(Jen)

I take it she means 60% of the total colonies tested hygienic, Not that they tested 60% hygienic.

Interesting that in my first assessment of hygienic abilities in my ferals, 60% tested positive for hygienic behavior. I have since selected for trait and have all colonies testing hygienic.

--Brood production started off average and now we are seeing wall to wall solid brood.--(Jen)

I have been selecting for this the past few seasons, and am now seeing high brood viability and larger brood patterns, with a corresponding increase in worker population in my colonies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast