I understand the scope of this site and chat room is primarily focused on bee keeping (etc). So I appologize if my question is not appropriate, but considering the web alternatives, I thought this room was the best choice.

I was clearing some under-brush at the edge of a woods at my residence in central Flordia, when I unknowingly disturbed a ground nest of a very aggressive bee. I was stung several times on my legs, hands, and face, in close proximity to the nest, and during retreat to a distance of about 50 feet.

My searches to this point would lead me to believe I had angered yellow jackets, but based upon the sizing information, I am not sure. These little fellows packed a big punch in their sting, and were less than 1/2" long and proportioned in width about the size of a Q-tip head. I don't recall the specific markings, but did see yellow and black, and the stingers did detach in my haste to rid them from my person.

Any thoughts please?

Best Regards.

BILLY BOB Guest

It sounds like you got into a nest of yellow jackets. Although, yellow jackets do not leave their stingers imbedded in their victims. Here is a link that has pics of honey bees and yellow jackets. You should be able to clearly see the difference between the two. You can carefully walk back to the area and have a look at the bees entering and leaving the nest to tell.
    http://www.borealforest.org/insects/insects15.htm

BB

I also saw a strange bee that I was wondering what it was. I first thought it was a nest of yellow jackets. But upon closer inspection, they were not yellow jackets. They were in the ground, they left the hole in the ground like they were bees leaving a hive. They looked like bees, brighter colored than yellow jackets and smaller. Almost a bright orange/yellow & black.

"You can carefully walk back to the area and have a look at the bees entering and leaving the nest to tell."

Maybe not. In addition to leaving the sting and a nasty welt they also leave a pheromone marker to say you've bothered them before. If you go back any time soon they will detect this marker and attack again.

You're a marked man and they ARE out to get you!

BILLY BOB Guest

Never thought about that DanO... Hey themixer28 make sure you take a bath!

BB

I finally had enough of these little tyrants, so I erradicated the group with a couple of cans a commericial avialable spray. Of course I used the long distance variety of spray, as they seemed to recognize me from a distance. Now that the nest is covered by a couple shovels full of sand, I would assume they are resting in peace.

Hope so. I retreated all the way back to my place in Canada to enjoy the cooler, bee free, city life.

thanks for the input and watch out for yellowjackets in central florida.

Actually, I am in canada and I have what sounds like the same kind of criter. its a little yellow and black wasp and it kicks and digs little burrows in the sand. Why? I don't know. I usually just stomp on them when I see them but when I have seen them. they have usually been on their own.

Maybe you brought it to forida with you :P

Nancy

GROUND HORNETS A COUSIN TO YELLOW JACKETS THEY TAKE OVER RODENT HOLES (BORROWS) AND ABOUT THE SIZE OF HONEY BEES JUST A LITTLE LARGER AND SLIMMER.
    EXTERMINATE---EXTERMINATE---EXTERMINATE

------------------
    'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03