Thread: Bee removal

Question

I just found this forum and I'm hopefull someone may be able to assist me.
    I own a two story apartment and Bees have found a home in the second story eave.
    They have been their for many years perhaps 10 i'm not sure. I have in the past sealed up the openings but the find another way in. Today I wasa called out their because the Bees had started a second entry way on the other side of the building approx. 30 feet away. The new one is relatively small as appearing from the outside, perhaps one foot long and four inches wide. The old one nw appears to growing substantialy it is aout 18inches wide, three feet long and a thickness of about 6-10inches. they appear to waiting their turn to enter a now reduced size opening. obviously i'm not a bee keeper and my knowledge is limited. does any one know how they may be moved abscent the idea of cutting the hole in roof and trying to locate the Queen and remove her. I was told this could be a fivr thousand dollar effort. Any assistance would be appreciated. The building is in Pasadena,Ca. thank you
    gene

What is your intention? To get rid of them? To hive them?

There are several problems. One is the bees. You can keep the bees out by simply closing up all the entrances, but the bees inside will die. You can put a cone on the main entrance (made of screen wire) and close off all of the small entrances and the bees will be able to get out but not back in. Now you need a beekeeper to take them or you need to kill them.

Your next problem is that the eaves are now full of honey and wax. Without the bees to care for this it will melt and run down the wall, atract ants and moths and make a general mess.

Another problem is the simple logistics of dealing with a hive a bees while high up a ladder. It's easy to get stung, panic and fall, or have some bees get in your veil and panic.

If you remove the bees and then open up the entrances you blocked, another hive of bees may discover the honey and rob it out. If they find it, this cleans up the honey in the eaves. A hive could be BROUGHT there just to accomplish this.

If you can find a beekeeper who knows how to pull it off they could be removed by the cone method, a strong hive could be left to rob out the honey and then you could seal it all up. It will, however, take some time to accomplish this and there will be a lot of bees around the apartment house.

While I hate to see it happen, the most direct solution is to hire an exterminator to kill them and a contractor to open it up and clean it out and repair the eaves. It should be filled with foam or something so a future swarm won't smell the old hive and try to move in.

For detailed info on how to remove bees with the cone method, Brushy Mt. Bee Farm has a video, "Free bees for you" that tells how to do it. ABC XYZ of Beekeeping by AI Root also has instructions on this method.