Thread: Kudzu Honey

Question

Someone mentioned that kudzu honey tastes good and has a grape like flavor. I know where a few acres of it are, but don't know the bloom time and length of bloom time. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

I would be suprised if it wasn't already growing within your current forage area. Kudzu is just about everywhere in the south. I'm not sure of the bloom times although you could surf into the University of Georgia Web site and I'd bet they could tell you.

Kudzu is just starting its growth here, nothing blooming as fas as I can tell.

Be quick when kudzu blooms...you'll have about 7-10 days to make a honey crop from it.

BubbaBob

Wow! I didn't know kudzu produced nectar!
    I have three hives overlooking 3-5 acres of the stuff and its just coming up. How much can I expect to get from this?

Thanks!!

>Be quick when kudzu blooms...you'll have about 7-10 days to make a honey crop from it.

Kudzu does everything fast. Back in the depression the instructions for planting Kudzu (yes it was planted for forage) was:

"dump the shot out of a shotgun shell and replace with kudzu seed. Go out in your field and fire the shotgun. Run for your life and try to beat the kudzu back to the house."

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

ugh, I think kudzu honey tastes like prunes [img]smile.gif[/img]

a lot of people really like it, but I can't stomach the stuff. It does make a beautiful deep red honey though(unmistakable)
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Thank you for the information. I certainly have some in my forage area, but not the acres I think it would take to get exclusive honey from it.