Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forgot to mention for the TX question I'd be selling at the flea market or farmers market; no small stores here I know of.

Lew

Lew ask:
    Anyone know what's required (label, equipment, etc.) in TX?

tecumseh replies:
    I am kind of dealing with this same problem Lew, so perhaps we could pool our Texas talent and figure this little problem out? I am right now looking at a Food Manufacturer License from the Texas Department of State Health Services (dshs.state.tx.us/bfds). My limited reading suggest you need a processer/packer licenses.... maybe??? Lots of code and not enough data to really give you a good idea. I thought it might give me some idea of what I needed for label requirements and minimum honey house standards. Don't we all just love to hate the government.

Do any of the Texas crowd know of if you are legally suppose to collect sales tax? I am going to poke around and see if there is a state beekeeper association website and perhaps a site for the state department of agriculture.

hey tecumseh

I understand there's a permit or something required from the health department. Haven't researched it any; bees still building up (only 2 hives so far) but going after 2 huge colonies in a wall tomorrow. Not expecting any surplus this year; if any probably not even enough for me to eat till next year.

I'd contact:

Collin County Hobby Beekeepers Association
    John Talbert
    P.O. Box 6
    Josephine, TX 75164
    972-843-8084
    Meetings: 2nd Mon. ea. mo.
    Activity Room Heard Museum, McKinney @ 7pm
    http://www.northtexasbeekeepers.org

John is state association president; real nice guy. I met him at our local association field day; figure he'll know if anyone does!

Lew

BTW please keep me posted with what you find out; email is bcl at grandecom dot net.

Thanx

Lew

Lew ask:
    Anyone know what's required (label, equipment, etc.) in TX?

tecumseh replies:
    I am kind of dealing with this same problem Lew, so perhaps we could pool our Texas talent and figure this little problem out? I am right now looking at a Food Manufacturer License from the Texas Department of State Health Services (dshs.state.tx.us/bfds). My limited reading suggest you need a processer/packer licenses.... maybe??? Lots of code and not enough data to really give you a good idea. I thought it might give me some idea of what I needed for label requirements and minimum honey house standards. Don't we all just love to hate the government.

Do any of the Texas crowd know of if you are legally suppose to collect sales tax? I am going to poke around and see if there is a state beekeeper association website and perhaps a site for the state department of agriculture.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12