How do most people manage/process their honey when preping for a honey show at, say, a state fair? Are all of the liquid honey entries heated and filteresd, or is straining with a 200 filter and some settling sufficient? Where might one find the rules?

I am more curious than anything, but it would be kind of fun to enter one one day.

Keith

Good question, doesn't anyone enter the honey shows?

BillsFarm Guest

Keith, check your state gov. web site for your state fair rules and reg. I'm entering the Mich State fair for the first time for cut-comb honey. The local bee club is paying the entrance fee and providing the space. Any money I win (if),I'm turning back into the club, that ribbon is what I'm looking fore. Bill

Thanks Bill,

I will get a copy of the rules at the next beekeepers meeting - I am not finding it on the SC website. I am also looking for any tips by the more expereinced crowd on "how it's done"

Keith

[This message has been edited by kgbenson (edited July 24, 2004).]

Big Grin

Well,

I guess nobody want to give up any secrets to winning a blue ribbon......

Some where I have seen " rules " for Honey competion but can`t find them, I have been looking for them for our Fair.

I have a couple of blue ribbons by dumb luck I guess. I just got a book from the County fair and entered 4 1# jars of lite amber honey. So if you are going to enter the County fair see them about rules.

Good Luck

Ed

Man, I just filtered my honey through 2 layers of vinyl curtain material and I still have very tiny particulate suspended in the honey. Will heating help? How high should I heat it?

I heat it to about 110-115 degrees and let it set for a souple of days and all the bad stuff goes to the top or bottom then I sell the best and eat the rest

Big Grin

thanks!!!!!