I just finished bottling another round of honey recently and noticed that after it settled, there are two distinct layers of honey in some of the bottles. There is a lighter colored layer that also is less viscous than a darker layer below. I was under the impression that different honey mixed together would mix to a uniform color and vicosity over time in holding/bottling tanks. Is this a normal phenomenon? Should I be concerned with fermentation? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is only a guess but one of two things occured, no really I can only think of one thing. You have honey with two different moisture contents and you didn't mix well enough. It wouldn't be different specific gravities of floral sources since glucose, and fructose will have the same molecular weight. Same carbon chain just different hydroxide (-OH) configuration.
    You should not have to worry about fermentation if both honey sources were below 19% moisture. Sell it as black and tan honey and tell people you ment to do it. Best of luck

Mark

Smile

I know a guy that sells honey that way when he dosen`t get a good mix and tells the coustmer that it is two flavor honey lol

Tell them
    The bees made that way!
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

I hear where you're coming from on the moisture content differences...the question still remains, why doesn't it mix?? In addition to moisture content...could the layering be from glucose to fructose ratio differences between the two honeys?

Either way, it's a double-bonus!