Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hooked for life.........

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  txbeeguy 
#1 ·
I was seriously comtemplating selling my beestuffs and getting out of it.

It wasn't as I thought going into this hobby.

I'd wanted to have beehives for years. I've always thought this was a wonderful pastime with a little work, I'd get all the honey I wanted for my teas, breads, and peanut butter sandwiches.

Then I learned how much works it takes to get your foundation drawn in a year, it may not get all drawn out in a year. I have a hive that's a year and a half old and still hasn't drawn out all the deep frames. ???

Then I was hit with the reality of the bees vulnerabilities, mites moths dysentery and viruses and spent my days worring about them and nights studying about them.

Yep, I almost quit.

I have good hives now, I could sell every stand for 120.00 each, but I can't do it.

They're my pets, my little darlings.

What has happened to me? #;^)

See less See more
#4 ·
I think there must bee a "human" genetic component too. Daisy, while it may be lost somewhere in your family history, I'd wager that if it could be known, *somebody* back down through your line was a beekeeper in times past.
In some families, it's strong, running directly from one generation to the next. In other cases, it's like diabetes (or other medical malays), skipping a generation or two. But given time, the human "beekeeping gene" resurfaces and for reasons you may not even understand up pops a beekeeper in the family!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.