Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool

With the help of info from this post I made some creamed honey.
    You all are right , It is good. I can stack it "this" high on buttered bread and none drips off.
    Ijust made a small batch. When this is gone I will try some flavor in the next batch. Probably cinemon.

Thanks to all of you for the information.

------------------
    Erwin

I'm looking for inexpensive additives. The cinnamon sounds good. Obviously one can't add real fruit... it would add water to the honey. Has anyone bought simply dried fruit, like apricot, blended it and made a batch? I know freeze dried fruits are available bt they cost a lot. I will try pecans ground up.

Dickm

Lightbulb

I have one customer that comes over to help and she mixes granola in with the honey before it granulates. She makes about 30 pounds of the stuff and she uses homade granola with rasins and other dried fruit and makes it quit thick. Her family realy enjoys it. She gets all her honey from me and makes the granola honey 4 times a year.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

LorAnn (sp) sells a very concentrated flavoring oil. The small bottles are only a couple bucks, sometimes they are even at Wal-Mart, in the craft section with the candy and cake decorating supplies. With these, a little goes a long way.

Sad

I keept my creamed honey in the frig for a week or so. It got very stiff. Now I have had it at room temp and it is still too stiff to spread on bread without tearing the bread. How so I get the creamed honey to be medium, like margarin, not hard like butter?

------------------
    Erwin

>I keept my creamed honey in the frig for a week or so. It got very stiff. Now I have had it at room temp and it is still too stiff to spread on bread without tearing the bread. How so I get the creamed honey to be medium, like margarin, not hard like butter?

What did you use for seed? You can warm it as little as necessary to stir some air into it so it's a little lighter. You can warm it some more and undo some of the crystalization.

For seed I used creamed honey I bought at the grocery store. It was sort of runney.
    What would short time in microwave do to my creamed honey? Like 30 seconds or so?

It depends on the amount of time. How about just putting it somewhere warm? Nobody bakes bread, or I'd say where ever you put the bread to raise.

Wink

We bake bread but that is in a bread machine. NO place for honey. I could try the fireplace mantel.

Wink

All is well with the creamed honey I made. We are now in Pharr south tesxas for the winter. Two 80 degree days and the creamed honey is just the right consitency. Minnesota is just too cold. Our pantry is on an outside wall.

Honey House,
    How did you modify the fridge to stay at 57%. I'm interested.

Dick Marron

Dickm

I tore the thermostat apart and made some adjustment. Don't recall exactly the things I did but I do recall that there where some adjustments screws and I had to "tweek" on it over the course of several days. But now it's set and I have yet to move it again.

Dick,
    you can find refrigerator temperature controllers in most homebrew beer supply catalogs. They are very precise and simple to install but they will disrupt the freezer compartment. Most are in the $50-$100 range.
    George

I make my cream honey in 30 lb pails and fill them about half full with the honey and seed. When the honey is stiff I use a stainless paint mixer on a drill to work it. It takes a bit of work to get it all smooth but then you have the texture you want. Sort of like scraping your butter to soften it.