Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all,

Just to kick things off on this forum, how do YOU produce creamed honey? What type o honey (s) do you think lend well to the process as far as flavor and granulation?

Clay - who already has an opinion

Big Grin

I just did my first batch and I think it turned out good !!! I took 10pounds of raw honey and mixed in 1 pound of seed and mixed it for 10-15 min. I botteled it and put in a frige for 5 days and It looks good.

Heat one barrel with 1/3 locust, 1/3 basswood and 1/3 thistle to eliminate all granulation. Cool below 75 degrees and seed with 5 gallons starter. Allow to sit until fairly well granulated about 2 weeks and then bottle.

What floral types of honey do other like to use for spun honey (creamed)? I like aster (a naturally granulating honey) and clover or basswood.

Sad

What is this "seed" you refer to?
    Where does it come from??
    What does it do ??

------------------
    Erwin

Anytime you add crystalized (granulated) honey to regular honey (seeding it) you set off more granulation. If the crystals are smaller than normal then the granulation is finer and more "creamy" hence the name creamed honey. You can buy seed (fine crystalized honey) for creamed honey from some bee equipment suppliers. Of course you can just buy creamed honey in the grocery store and use it for seed.

That is interesting. I have never even tasted creamed hopney.
    I can buy some, tast it, and if I like it use what is left for seed. Sounds like a winner to me.

------------------
    Erwin

to me granulated honey is the best tasting.

I have been eating peanut butter and spun honey sandwiches for lunch almost every day for the last 20 years. I think it tastes better, it spreads easier, and it doesnÂ’t the bread all soggy. Unfortunately I am using store bought, hopefully I can make my own some day.

Since I take honey off only once a year, all the extrated honey kind of gets mixed together so I don't have a particular type.
    So I'd call I wildflower.
    I take 40 pounds and heat it 110 degrees
    I let it go for about 24 hours.
    Then I cool it to 75 and add 4 or 5 pounds
    of starter. Mix well, bottom up as to not introduce too much air. Let sit over night
    to let any air in there to escape then bottle into 1 pounds short fat glass jars.
    Then it go into a modified frig that is set to 57 degrees. I keep it there and only take it out to replenish the stand when needed. Some years it's great some years it's better.

Here is the recipe I use for creamed honey. The beekeeper I got it from hands it out all the time, and also has received blue ribbons at the state fair with it.
    1. Pour 12 lbs honey into a large pot.
    2. Warm on stove at Med-high setting to 140 degrees F to remove all natural crystals, stir with rubber spatula during the warming process.
    3. After 140 degrees F is reached, remove from heat and allow to cool to 90-95 degrees F, then skim off all bubbles and foam.
    4. While honey is still at 90-95 degrees F, add 1 Lb Sue Bee premium Clover Spun Honey (a MN Brand I think), or equivalent, as seed honey to start the smooth granulation process. Make sure whatever you use is pure honey.
    5. Mix until thoroughly blended, cover an let stand a mimimum of 12 hours to allow bubbles to rise.
    6. Again skim off all bubbles.
    7. Pour or ladle into containers of your choice.
    8. Let stand at 58 Degrees F, after 5-7 days honey should be creamy and firm.

OPTIONS
    To speed the process up, you can use 2 Lbs of seed honey.
    Flavorings such as cinnamon or peach can be added after step 3.
    Cinnamon spice works well, I use approximatly 1/8 cup for a single batch. Liquid cinnamon flavor makes it taste more like red hot candies.
    If I am not flavoring it, the stronger honeys work well. If I want to add a delicate flavor like peach, the milder honeys are a better choice.

Question

i think me creamed honey worked but on top of the creamed honey it is white and if you take your finger under the white it is the same color as honey the white and honey color tast like creamed honey is there somthing wrong?

swarmtrapper

thats the air bubbles that rose to the top and made foam...thats one reason one of the other comments above was to let it sit overnight. i have also heard to turn the jar upside and let the bubbles rise to the bottom and then when it is turned right side up it is too thick for them to rise again.

some other comments......

if you are aiming for a very smooth texture...it is a good idea to heat to the 140 degree range to get rid of as much contaminating granulation as possible. additionally, if you do big batches you will want to be able to grind your seed on a regular basis to maintain a smooth texture....(Stollers/Barkman, who sets the standard for creamed honey, grinds on a frequent basis)

if you can tolerate a more gritty texture, a lower temp down around 110 works nice and grinding isnt such an issue. it has a more natural texture and deeper/bolder taste too.

one word of caution, i wouldnt add any seed at 90-95 degrees...it may destroy the seed. 70-75 degrees is the preferred temp to add it.

I have done half a dozen batches this way, my concern would be at a lower temp, getting the seed to disperse evenly in the batch. It can take up to a week for it to set up, but I think this helps keep the crystals small.

Tasted cream honey for the first time this week,never even heard of it before getting into bees, it is absolulty delecious!! Someday hope to make it myself.

Question

what color is creamed honey. does it need to be refrigerated after it has setup.

The color depends some on the original color. It tends to be a lot more opaque which makes it look more white than the honey you made it with. It does not need to be refrigerated. It's just that it crystalized better at a cool temp in the 50's F. Once it's crystalized it doesn't matter.

I guess I didn't say, you don't want it to get up in the 100s F or it may liquify.

When I flavor my creamed honey, I usually add a little food coloring to it. Real cinnamon gives it a brown color, (similar to apple butter)

I make my creamed honey same process as The Honey House does. With one exception I stir in seed. Then use mixer (large SS mixer type from betterbee)to stir by hand for a few days at room temp. Then into tubs, bottles, ect. Cool till crystalized.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast