Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm really interested in the pond idea. What is the smallest possible container? How about a 1/2 wood barrel. I would love to get a claw foot tub, but being Santa Cruz it is ridiculously priced.

In addition to being the one of the most creative communities I know, you lot are hilariously funny too. Much gratitude. Palika

Finally I've got the pictures of the aquifers from Brushy Mountain.

Aquifer photo Aquifer again

The nets and floats are reusable if the container breaks - you could use them in a 5 gallon bucket. The containers seem to be a bit fragile, or at least don't hold them from the side while jet-washing them, one broke a bit, which really isn't a problem provided we don't make the break worse with further handling! [img]tongue.gif[/img] I'm pleased with them, I think they work well. We've got three about 20' out from the hives in a bit of an arc.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

I have a large porcelain goldfish bowl with bladderworts, frog-bit, a water lily, and even a goldfish. It's placed just so and the rain falls off my roof and constantly fills the bowl. Unfortunately, I've only seen one bee buzz it so they don't seem to care. Not that water is in huge demand here where you have to breathe carefully so as not to drown in the humidity!

We have about a dozen hives and several nuks on a large deck near the house. On the deckis one of those fountains with a small submerged pump that pushes water up through a ceramic ball, the water trickles down the sides of the ball onto stones and seashells which hide the plastic mesh through which the water flows down to the pump again - it's like a saucer sitting over a bowl about 15 inches across and 10 deep - meant most likely for inside ambiance but somehow started using it outside and the bees (and squirrels, and cat, and heavens knows what else) found it. My point in all this is that most of these small fountains would probably work fine while looking good, if that's a concern. It does require access to electricity and there have to be things for the bees to stand on. There's usually enough rain to top it off but because of the pump we do keep an eye on the water level. I think "onlygoodSHBisadeadone" back aways, has something there about the footprint of moisture over an evaporating thing.

On the other side of the bee deck is a stand of herbs in trays filled with pea gravel. I see a lot of watering going on there after a rain. The bees seem to like that situation, too. Far and away the most lovely sight of a watering honey bee is one on a fuzzy leaf of blue-green sage, sipping up a raindrop.

But the watering source that gets the most use here is an almost everpresent mud hole about 100 feet from this particular bee yard. As someone said earlier, go figure.
    Flying by the seat of my pants.

On the aquifer, is there some membrane on top of some floats?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I'm so excited, started my "bee" pond today. Using a 1/2 wine barrel with a liner, already got some water plants and buying more online. Will add some water snails and a few goldfish and maybe a very small solar powered water pump, to keep the water moving slightly. Bees came to it within an hour. Thankyou so much for all these great ideas. Beekeepers really love their bees!

Quick update as to bees using water station I posted on earlier...they like it.

http://www.robleons.com/watersta2.jpg

That's an awesome station. How far is it from the hives and how many hives are there? Palika

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12