Thread: Powdered Sugar

Question

I remember discussion about corn starch in grocery store powdered sugar......... Where does one get powdered sugar without it?

I've been told that bakers that make things like wedding cakes have access to plain old powdered sugar without corn starch in it. Perhaps Chef can comment on this.

That said, has anyone ever heard of or experienced problems with dusting bees with powdered sugar containing corn starch? I have not. You probably don't want to feed it to them for winter food, but my assumption is when you dust them for mites with it, most of it gets groomed off and removed from the hive and they actually eat very little.
    Dulcius ex asperis

Mann Lake sells it. But a local supply would be cheaper.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I use the stuff from the grocery store and haven't noticed any problems. I think as long as the weather is warm enough for them to get out for cleansing flights, it's ok.

I make my own with a blender and regular sugar.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964