Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parafin wax

I had a few minutes and googled the waxes. Here’s some useful information about natural beeswax:

“Check your area for apiaries. The bee keepers often sell natural beeswax, or even coloured and scented block and sheet beeswax.* Ask if they filter it (to remove honeycomb and other material).”

http://members.iinet.com.au/~campbell1/waxes.htm

Remember to ask if the honeycomb has been removed before acquiring your beeswax. Isn’t the internet wonderful source of information?

Hi Guys, Been gone a few days and what a surprize. You guys ROCK!! I took the time today and drove down to Mann Lake (45 mins) and picked up 5 lbs. of bees wax. I tried the parafin on 20 frames, then melted down some cull drawn comb to try. I liked the bees wax the best. It was just alot easier to work with... Smelled better, more natural, and gave me that warm fuzzy feeling...lol
    Thanks alot, Art

Glad you were able to get some beeswax Art. Did you ask if the honeycomb had been filtered out?

Gotta luv the "warm fuzzies" Art. Glad you got your beeswax.

Hi Dick, The wax was in 25 or 30 lb. blocks. The guy just broke off a chunk and weighed it. He said it was raw bees wax... Do I need to filter it or something?
    Thanks, Art

nope, it should be good to go. i was just being a typical smart-ass about misinformation given from the URL over this: "Ask if they filter it (to remove honeycomb...."

it seems those folks giving advice on that website i quoted from don't seem to realize where beeswax is derived from!

Hey Dick! I hear that heating your candle will make it burn. That sound right to you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I tried to filter out the honeycomb when I melted the wax from my hive, and it just kept disappearing.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

I actually tack weld strips of small cell foundation into frames using a soldering gun that has a flat tip. I insert the strip of foundation into the grooved top bar then insert the flat tip of the soldering gun into the grove. Pull the trigger and a spot of wax melts. Slide the flat tip of the soldering gun an inch or so and melt another spot. Continue this the length of the top bar. If ya feel that a couple of spots don't hold well add a couple more tacks. Beats dripping wax from a candle. Ya just use the wax from the strips. If ya already have foundation why do ya need to buy candles or bees wax?????
    Im really not that serious

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12