Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Parafin wax

7K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  mac 
#1 ·
Can melted parafin be used to cement waxed foundation strips into top bars? I know bees wax is used, but I don't have any right now.
Thanks, Art

#4 ·
Of course parafin will work. But in light of this question being in a "biological beekeeping" section I think it is a poor choice.

I personally use it because I have it, it is natural, it requires no petroleum, the bees like it, and smells excellent!!

#10 ·
I haven't tried it, but I figure that using a beeswax candle (available at crafts and home decore stores, etc) could simply be burned and dripped into spots along the foundation. kind of like tack-welding. Of course, a candle will cost you more than the wax in a block from a local beekeeper. Check your association.

Waya

#14 ·
Well, isn't that what the question was about in the first place? Is it OK? Yes, it is. So there.

edited: besides, parafin is used for waxing jam and jelly. Now, what about all that food grade MINERAL OIL? Where is that derived from? So there again. :D

[ May 08, 2006, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Dick Allen ]

#17 ·
What about the melting temps? If the paraffin (and I don't know) has a significantly higher melting point, it may simply melt the foundation rather than adhere to it. Hmm, let me try this...

Ok, I dribbled a melting candle on the edge of a peice of foundation. The tiniest of drops did "thin" the beeswax which seemed to absorb the heat and kept the paraffin from cooling quickly. I'm sure that a thick bead of paraffin would simply cut through the beeswax. This would not result in the desired "cementing" under the conditions that I tried. Again, small tack-welding might, but care would have to be taken to allow the paraffin to cool before stress was put on the area.

I take the question to imply, "will it work without causing harm." I don't think it will work as well as hoped.

Waya

#21 ·
I had a few minutes and googled the waxes. Here’s some useful information about natural beeswax:

“Check your area for apiaries. The bee keepers often sell natural beeswax, or even coloured and scented block and sheet beeswax.  Ask if they filter it (to remove honeycomb and other material).”

http://members.iinet.com.au/~campbell1/waxes.htm

Remember to ask if the honeycomb has been removed before acquiring your beeswax. Isn’t the internet wonderful source of information? :rolleyes:

#22 ·
Hi Guys, Been gone a few days and what a surprize. You guys ROCK!! I took the time today and drove down to Mann Lake (45 mins) and picked up 5 lbs. of bees wax. I tried the parafin on 20 frames, then melted down some cull drawn comb to try. I liked the bees wax the best. It was just alot easier to work with... Smelled better, more natural, and gave me that warm fuzzy feeling...lol
Thanks alot, Art

#26 ·
nope, it should be good to go. i was just being a typical smart-ass about misinformation given from the URL over this: "Ask if they filter it (to remove honeycomb...."

it seems those folks giving advice on that website i quoted from don't seem to realize where beeswax is derived from! :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.