Thread: what to do?

My hives are one deep brood box with one shallow super full of honey..I took the shallow super off this evening to install my second deep with the sc foundation but..when i took the super off i noticed capped brood in the centers of the frames..not knowing what to do i put the deep sc box on the top of the shallow..is this the right move?thanks,keith
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

Keith

that's a good exmple of why it makes sense to use all the same size box [img]smile.gif[/img]
    but if I were in your position that's what I would have done
    I think it's to early to split the brood in 2 with a deep in between
    once they draw out the new deep you can switch em

Dave

I would have tried at least one on bottom especially if it were starter strips. The bees seem to draw the strips better from the top down.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

>when i took the super off i noticed capped brood in the centers of the frames..

On second thought. I would take the two outside frames of brood in the bottom box and put it in the center of the new box. Install two new frames in the old box where the brood was taken out. This will make a continious vertical brood area in all three boxes.

Later if they draw the SC well, move it to the center of the nest, or when it warms up a bit feed more SC foundation into the center.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam