Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I purchased a screened bottom board from Brushy Mountain and want to make more of my own.
    I've built the frames but the only screening I can find locally is 1/4"(at the major real hardware store and also Paris Farmers Union). The plans on this website call for 1/8".
    Can I double up the 1/4" (staggered) or should I wait and try to order 1/8" (and from where?)

You can not "double it up" to make 1/8th inch or #8 hardware cloth. There have been several discussions on this forum about where to buy and so on. Some bee supply companies even sale it, I think Betterbee sells #5, #6, #7 and #8 galvenized hardware cloth in ten foor and hundred foot rolls. Do you have any tsc tractor supply stores near you? Ace hardware, home depot maybe!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

maine beek,
    I thought up the same idea. One problem would be that you have to stager the second layer of cloth diagonally, not just one direction, but both. And they would have to be equally taut. That gets complicated. Surely, a screened bottom board (SBB) doesn't have to be THAT exact, I suppose. But you'll find out that getting the right stuff not only saves you hassels, but there are so many other uses of #8 cloth that will come your way.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

Most hardware stores have it or can order it for you.
    I get mine at Ace hardware.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Anybody seen a plan they can give me a link to a screened bottom board?
    OR...share yours?

Roy

Brushy Mountain sells it by the foot, and cheaper than what a local hardware store sells it for.

I have some I built in an emergeny using the 1/4 inch mesh. Since then, I have just left them and they work just fine. Bees can get through the mesh but it rarely happns...though watch for robbing if the nearby hives are of different strength...just my 2 cents

I posted plans and pictures of my screened bottom board at the Oregon beekeepers site that may interest you. See:
    http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.c...ead=1144021565

Here's my 2X4 version. Good if you have scrap 2X4's or want a heavy duty bottom.

http://web.utk.edu/~wu4you/ACBeekeepers/equipment.htm

Most of the 1/8th inch screen is sold for making bird or rabbit cages. Try rural hardware stores, that's where I usually find it. The big boxes don't carry it and you can never get any help to find or order it.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Out here in Oregon, I've found it at larger True Value Hardware Stores. Since I've never been to Maine, I don't know if you have them.

Pugs

Maine Beekeeper, I've bought it at Harvey's Hardware store in Gardiner Maine. Cost $2.50 a foot. I also buy my used paint there, they save it for me now. I'd think any reputable hardware store could order it for you if they don't have it.
    Dulcius ex asperis

In my area, west/central coast of Florida, I have found that Home Depot and Lowes, the larger chain hardware stores do not carry it. Yet most of the smaller "Mom and Pop" hardware stores will carry it. Either selling it by the foot, or a prepackaged roll (I believe 50 feet to a roll at one hardwrae store sold for around $80.00).

Local hardware store here in Spring City carries it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yep, they have True Value here on the east coast and even up in Maine [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Southeast PA - 7 colonies, local mutts on natural comb, TF
    George Imirie's INDEXED Pink Pages: http://goo.gl/WiZUH3

I went by a local Ace Hardware Store today. They had in stock a 24" X 50' roll of 8 X 8 hardware cloth but they wanted $101.81 for it. They wouldn't sell part rolls. I will find another source.
    mdotson

I've found that the only place that it can be purchased in Columbus County is at Pierce and Company in Hallsboro. It's at the stop light! Pierce and Company is an interesting place. They have all the usual items of an old time hardware store, nails by the pound, hardware cloth, replacement handles for garden and hand tools, Radio Flyer wagons, adult one speed bikes with baloon tires, wooden lawn furniture and porch swings. Replacement gaskets for your pressure cooker are in stock as well as a variety of cast iron cookware. But they also have building supplies, even bricks.

And of course the working entrance is at the side of the building, not between the angled storefront windows. The floor is tongue and groove boards worn smoothe.

But if that's not enough there's a butcher shop in the one corner. Complete with sausage ground and stuffed right in sight,

#8 hardwarecloth is sold by the foot @$1.60/
    GeeB
    Life must be lived forward but understood backwards.

have any of you guys just cut out a rectangle out of a regular bottom board and put screen on it?

seems like it would almost be as good, just no sheet for mite count
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

If you are trying to make a screened bottom board out of an standard bottom board, you would probably be better off to consider making a screened insert which would also give you the possibility of easier sampling for natural mite drop. What you want to do is maximize the screened area to improve efficiency and accurateness of mite drop count.

All that would be involved is to frame up a screen at the same dimensions as your bottom board and you can leave a space for a drawer or if you don't want a drawer, you can use the space for sticky paper. The space between the bottom board floor and the screen should be at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Mites are mobile little !#&*^**#@*&! Make a plate to fit the opening to prevent the bees from using the wrong entrance or simply turn your bottom board to the rear for sampling from the back (less bee disturbance).

A point to consider - It has been shown that open screen boards actually increase the mite count due to the lowering of cluster temperature which lenghtens the brood cycle allowing more mites to mature inside the capped cell. The screen boards that I use have the entrance reduced to 3/8 inch height rather than the standard 3/4 in an effort to shorten brood cycle. One of the reasons that AFB are able to cope with mites is their shorter brood cycle along with their penchant for swarming... Food for thought - As one of my buds once said - "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"

As far as 1/8 screen mesh, try to get the 36" wide stuff as it goes twice as far - no waste like the 24" stuff.

The bottom boards I got from Brushy Mountain just had string criss-crossed under the board to hold the mite count sheet. I'd think you could do the same with a regular bottom board.

[size="1"][ June 04, 2006, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: PA Pete ][/size]
    Southeast PA - 7 colonies, local mutts on natural comb, TF
    George Imirie's INDEXED Pink Pages: http://goo.gl/WiZUH3