Thread: chalk brood

Sad

Hey,

I left a post in the general forum but I was wonderin if anyone had thoughts on chalk brood. Fungus, spore, lack of care? Any for sure cure?

thanks

Fungus. A.m.m. are susceptible, and there's been speculation (I'm not sure it's ever been proved) that it's due to a tendency to let the broodnest temperature drop a little to conserve energy. Some strains are more susceptible than others, whether this is really the cause or not. So it's partly genetic, and also partly environmental; it disappeared from one strain I hadwhen I put them on mesh floors and eliminated damp from the hives.
    RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

I think Robert has a point. I've lost bees to mites and failed queens but since I put 1/4" hardware cloth in the bottom of all my hives years ago I can't remember when I last saw chalk brood in my hives.

Hardware cloth as the bottom board, or above the bottom board?

Thanks,

simplyhoney

I use hardware cloth as the bottom board or most of it anyway with a wood frame around it. The bees seem to thrive without the moisture gathering on the bottom board and whatever mites fall through to the ground below.