Thread: Comb Spacing

I was measuring the comb spacing on natural comb. These were the bees that were mostly full sized that moved into a feeder. It was a small colony and it quickly regressed as indicated by the cell sizes. The first combs in the center were about 5.1mm The next combs beside that were about 5.0mm and the next were about 4.9mm and the last were about 4.8mm. I think it was small enough that some of the bees emerged from the first comb by the time they were building the next combs.

The spacing on the combs varied. The combs ran dianoly at almost exactly 45 degrees from the side wall, until the ends where they rotated until they were almost parallel to the side wall.

The spacings varied from 1 1/8" to 1 5/8" between the centers of the combs. The most common spacing was 1 1/4"

Hi Michael,

I used 1 1/4" spacing in my top bar hive last year. It worked perfect until the bees starting constructing the honey storage comb behind the broodnest. If I recall that was on about frame 16 from the front. Then they constructed fatter comb with wider spacing which quickly overran my top bars.

Looks like 1 1/4" is perfect for brood but I'm not sure what would be best for the rest of the hive.

I also noticed that they bent the ends of the comb toward the front of the top bar hive.

Next season I plan to run two different top bar widths, 1 1/2" and 1 3/8", in two seperate hives. Will let you know what happens.

Regards
    Dennis

I used 1 1/2" bars in mine. I also noticed the turn toward the front on the ends of the combs. They built MOST of them nicely but occasionally they would build a comb 1/4" off from the starter strip.

I was thinking of doing the brood nest next time as 1 1/4" and the stores as 1 5/8".