Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Tongue length

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Robert Brenchley 
G
#1 ·
I was wondering, with the AMM (Apis Mellifera Mellifera) the tongue length is shorter. AMM also build 4.9mm cells naturally. What about other races that are raised on 4.9 like Italians...etc. does the size of the cell effect the tongue length?

Billy Bob

#2 ·
In another post about regression of bees, it was commented about with smaller bees "a wider range of flowers are available". I can't pinpoint the writer or post, but know it was said. I wondered why a bee based on the size(Body?) would collect from other flower sources. Didn't seem 5.2 range to 4.9 range would make that much of a difference. Perhaps that comment had to do with the tongue length??

A smaller body and different flowers, hard to imgaine but I do not have the research. A smaller tongue would based on common sense say you would perhaps limited necture collection(?)

I see where perhaps small cell would help with mite control, but are there any advantages of a smaller body/tongue sizes?

I didn't do much to answer the original question but thought this was a good place to piggyback and ask some questions I also had.

#6 ·
Wedmore compares tongue lengths of different bee races; there was a time when people wanted long-tongued bees. He says that when cels are 'too small' - he doesn't say what he means by this - an increase of 5% in cell width can give an increase of 1/16 inch in tongue length.If he's on the right lines, then the tongue might get shorter in absolute terms as the cell size decreases. Try it and see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.