Just a quick note on feral cell size: A few weeks ago I took two colonies out of a shed wall for a friend. They had been there for years, and he liked having them, but wanted to remodel the shed and didn't want to kill the bees. I finally got around to measuring several sections of comb that I saved (forgot to save drone comb) and the sizes ran from 4.9 up to 5.15. I plan to use these colonies to produce queens from as they are survivors and are already regressed. I am also thinking that I could cycle small cell foundation through these hives to generate extra small cell comb.

------------------
    Rob Koss

Very good idea, I wish I could get so lucky, but here in southern Oregon where people destroyed 1800 hives back at the first varroa scare, there is scarce a bee to be found when the migratory beekeeps move out for pollination. I shall just have to regress packages.

Sol

usbwrangler Guest

Hi Rob and Everyone,

Some guys have all the fun:> ). I'm going to have to run a top bar hive just to see what the bees will do by themselves.

Did you see any organization or orientation with different size cells or the with comb itself?

Dennis

Hey Dennis,

No I didn't. I would like to say that I was paying close attention but I wasn't (I'll never make it as a scientist!) The comb was twisted and contorted as it usually is in feral hives, and there wasn't an apparent method to their madness. I am sure had I thought to look a little more carefully I may have had more to report..

------------------
    Rob Koss