is there a way to make or use a common household item as a cone shaped bee escape? i know that dadant sells 10 red plastic cones for $6 and betterbee has 10 stainless mesh escapes for $8. not too much money, but with shipping they are a bit pricey. suggestions? thanks.

kitchen and shop funnels come in all sizes

I don't know of anything right off hand. An arts and craft store might have something. We have a plastics company around here and although they recycle most of their rejects that's where I would check. They made plastic reflectors for flashlights. Just an example. You may not have that nearby. Sometimes when finding something like this it's a lot more bother and time putting together and making it fit.

You can make your own like the old timers did. Use woven wire window screen and a pencil. Push the screen on the pencil point and work a cone into the wire with a hole. The point of the pencil will make the hole in the cone.

If you really want to get fancy with making the screen cones go to http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/coneescapes.html
    Last edited by magnet-man; 03-06-2007 at 06:54 AM.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Default Bee escape cones

How many are you looking for?
    I have them fabricated here in Canada and distribute them to bee supply dealers. I am putting an order for 2000 cones in the next few days. They are exactly like the ones from Dadant. (.50) plus shipping. I will be going to Fargo, North Dakota at the end of the month, so I can ship from there.

Dan