Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

HFCS pumps

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  EastSideBuzz 
#1 ·
I'm really not sure exactly what I want yet. But I am thinking of getting a half-tanker of HFCS this year. As a growing business, I don't have any pumps yet. But I was hoping to solve a couple of things.

If I store HFCS in 300 gallon totes, I want to be able to fill 55 gallon barrels on my truck. (I don't have a lift yet) Also to perhaps fill containers for local beekeepers who may want some. Electricity at my home yard in not a problem.

But I also may want to pump HFCS in the field. Not sure if gravity fed works with thick syrup(?)

I know the pumps in the mags go for big bucks. Whats the biggest bang for the buck? Electric pump for home yard where its stored, and hand pump in the field??? Do hand pumps even work?

Somebody help me out here. I have no clue.

#2 ·
I picked up a gas powered trash pump at
auction last year Bjorn. It is slick!!
And it was $50. You have to have a return
line (at least on mine) going back to the
tank for when your not using it to keep the
pressure for blowing up the pump??

The return line actually keeps the syrup
mixed (not that it's needed).

I plumbed in a gas dispensing nozzle and
hose found at any farm supply store.

Beats buckets.

Here's an example of the pump:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FREE-SHIP-L-K-LARGE-6-5-HP-WATER-TRASH-PUMP-2-NPT_W0QQitemZ270093375872QQihZ017QQcategoryZ57015QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The gas dispenser thingy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gasoline-Gas-Diesel-Nozzle-pump-head-tank-dozer-NEW-NR_W0QQitemZ200082169882QQihZ010QQcategoryZ61567QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The hose does not have to be rated for fuel
use. But it does have to be pressure rated.

#3 ·
It is thick and runs slow with gravity feed. An air pressure tank will push it, you may want to consider that. A twelve volt compressor mounted on the truck would do the trick or an air bubble.

You also need to consider what you will do to reliquify it when it crystallizes. A submersible heater or a hot room would be handy.

My five gallon buckets that have been sitting all winter set up solid, but now that the temperature has warmed up, some of the buckets are liquid on the top.

I am looking to get a boom for a flat bed truck. That will solve a lot of problems for me.

#7 ·
OIC... ancient thread. I have met the Bjornbee before... he was posting away... today.

I rather doubt one would be too happy with a pressure rig for syrup. I use them to move wine (my hobby) and suspect they would be far to finicky for the field. Trash pumps work fine.

#11 ·
Yeah, that'll do the job. Just have to plumb it to the 250 gal. Tote and a line and hose to fill feeders. I've seen hoses w/ shutoff valeves and mine has a fuel hose handle like apperatus. I got my whole rig from Mann Lake. Someone more clever than I can throw one of these together easily from parts.

#12 ·
I just bought a five gallon bucket of HFCS. Any suggestions on how to deal with it? Thick, messy stuff.

#17 ·
Before I got a cpl totes and a pump system, I used barrels. I got a plastic 5 gallon fuel jug, new, and cut a hole in the back so I could pour syrup in and then fill feeders via the spout. I used a plastic pitcher to scoop the syrup from the tank and pour it into the jug.

It was pretty messy, but low tech and slow is sometimes better for some of us. Especially if you don't have alot of hives or feed often enuf to justify the machinery.

For 80 hives I would recommend the low tech method. May be a good way for odfrank to go too.

I gave up on the screw on spout. The syrup didn't come out fast enuf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.