Thread: HFCS pumps

Question

I'm really not sure exactly what I want yet. But I am thinking of getting a half-tanker of HFCS this year. As a growing business, I don't have any pumps yet. But I was hoping to solve a couple of things.

If I store HFCS in 300 gallon totes, I want to be able to fill 55 gallon barrels on my truck. (I don't have a lift yet) Also to perhaps fill containers for local beekeepers who may want some. Electricity at my home yard in not a problem.

But I also may want to pump HFCS in the field. Not sure if gravity fed works with thick syrup(?)

I know the pumps in the mags go for big bucks. Whats the biggest bang for the buck? Electric pump for home yard where its stored, and hand pump in the field??? Do hand pumps even work?

Somebody help me out here. I have no clue.

I picked up a gas powered trash pump at
    auction last year Bjorn. It is slick!!
    And it was $50. You have to have a return
    line (at least on mine) going back to the
    tank for when your not using it to keep the
    pressure for blowing up the pump??

The return line actually keeps the syrup
    mixed (not that it's needed).

I plumbed in a gas dispensing nozzle and
    hose found at any farm supply store.

Beats buckets.

Here's an example of the pump:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FREE-SHIP-L-K-LA...QQcmdZViewItem

The gas dispenser thingy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gasoline-Gas-Die...QQcmdZViewItem

The hose does not have to be rated for fuel
    use. But it does have to be pressure rated.

It is thick and runs slow with gravity feed. An air pressure tank will push it, you may want to consider that. A twelve volt compressor mounted on the truck would do the trick or an air bubble.

You also need to consider what you will do to reliquify it when it crystallizes. A submersible heater or a hot room would be handy.

My five gallon buckets that have been sitting all winter set up solid, but now that the temperature has warmed up, some of the buckets are liquid on the top.

I am looking to get a boom for a flat bed truck. That will solve a lot of problems for me.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

hey Bill where do you get the 12 volt air compresser? and wha is an air bubble? thanks Nick

Default Re: HFCS pumps

How are you setting up the pressure rig to get the hfcs out of the drums.

That was mean EastSideBuzz. I thought for a moment that BjornBee was back. I heard he wasn't well.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

OIC... ancient thread. I have met the Bjornbee before... he was posting away... today.

I rather doubt one would be too happy with a pressure rig for syrup. I use them to move wine (my hobby) and suspect they would be far to finicky for the field. Trash pumps work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    That was mean EastSideBuzz. I thought for a moment that BjornBee was back. I heard he wasn't well.
    Eastsidebuzz say HUH?

So what kind of trash pump would I need to do 55 gallons of HFCS. Low cost and small would be ideal. I only have 80 hives so far.

You resurrected a Thread from 3.5 years ago, by someone we haven't heard from in ages. Ya got my hopes up, until I realized how old this Thread is. No problem.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    Eastsidebuzz say HUH?

So what kind of trash pump would I need to do 55 gallons of HFCS. Low cost and small would be ideal. I only have 80 hives so far.
    This looks pretty much like ours...

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-full-...ine-68370.html

A tote will be simpler to deal with in the long run. 80 hives ought to justify a tote. Then you can just plumb it to the tote.

Yeah, that'll do the job. Just have to plumb it to the 250 gal. Tote and a line and hose to fill feeders. I've seen hoses w/ shutoff valeves and mine has a fuel hose handle like apperatus. I got my whole rig from Mann Lake. Someone more clever than I can throw one of these together easily from parts.
    Mark Berninghausen

I just bought a five gallon bucket of HFCS. Any suggestions on how to deal with it? Thick, messy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I just bought a five gallon bucket of HFCS. Any suggestions on how to deal with it? .
    You are joking ..... right? Tip and pour.

I know a guy with 3500 hives that feeds with 5 gallon buckets.... you believe that?

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    You are joking ..... right? Tip and pour.
    Poker Face.

I have MS, am as weak as a baby, and have hard enough time scooting around full five gallon buckets of honey on the floor much less picking up and pouring the 5 g. bucket of HFCS. Hard to fit the stream into a quart feeder jar, or inside feeder without making a big mess. Dipping and pouring is a big mess. Tried a little squeeze pump I had on hand, syrup is too thick. Would like to avoid mess and waste. Maybe have someone pour it into a five gallon bottling bucket for me. Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Poker Face.

I have MS, am as weak as a baby, and have hard enough time scooting around full five gallon buckets .
    I am sorry I questioned you, but sometimes it is hard to separate the serious questions on here from those being silly. Sounds like you have a solution in hand already. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    A tote will be simpler to deal with in the long run. 80 hives ought to justify a tote. Then you can just plumb it to the tote.
    I have a tote. That was last years crystallizing issue. Did not use it all quick enough. I was trying to go smaller.

OK To save 279 bucks I will dump the drum into the tote and fill from the tote.

Before I got a cpl totes and a pump system, I used barrels. I got a plastic 5 gallon fuel jug, new, and cut a hole in the back so I could pour syrup in and then fill feeders via the spout. I used a plastic pitcher to scoop the syrup from the tank and pour it into the jug.

It was pretty messy, but low tech and slow is sometimes better for some of us. Especially if you don't have alot of hives or feed often enuf to justify the machinery.

For 80 hives I would recommend the low tech method. May be a good way for odfrank to go too.

I gave up on the screw on spout. The syrup didn't come out fast enuf.
    Mark Berninghausen

I get stuff from bjornbee on ebay...
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Dadant sells a syrup pump that sends the liquid back into the tank when you are not filling. Seems kind of pricy 1308 bucks to me.

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=328

Anyone made one of thier own and where do you get the pump piece. I think I can find an engine to use.