I saw a clip on a European website(seems like a long time ago)that is used to attach a bottom board to the first hive body.

Kinda like a spring attached at one end to the BB, over a screw or pin in the body and then clips back down on the BB.

Have not seen any here in the states but don't know the name so I can't search for them properly.

What are they called?

Can they be made from #9 galvanized wire?

Or do you need like a spring steel?

Anyone using them or have any experience with them?

Where can I get some to try?

Thanks.
    Lat 56N

Old fasion "screen door" hook might work. I have used (not on hives) fancy ones made of brass.

You could use a hasp w/ a pad lock [img]smile.gif[/img]

How about bailing wire twisted around a nail?

Or, hive staples [img]smile.gif[/img]

Is this what you're talking about? I don't know where you can get them.

High tinsile wire such as fencing wire (think it 9 gauge) is tough stuff-wear goggles when working with it. Spring steel and one inch screws will make the clips possible.
    Easiest to use vice and linemans pliars to bend the high tinsile wire to the desired shape.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Thanks Wayne Smith. That's what I was looking for.

We use hive staples mostly but I thought we would try these for making splits and moving the nucs around.
    Lat 56N

>We use hive staples mostly but I thought we would try these for making splits and moving the nucs around.

I use strapping and clips. Not the steel strapping/metal clips like the kind Carris Reels makes. This is plastic strapping that comes on a roll, with a box of "S" clips. The strapping is fastened to the clip, placed around hive, and through clip. A handtool is used to tighten strap. The strap can be loosened with wire nippers, and the strap and clip can be reused..for years...maybe forever if you store it out of the sun. No holes in the hive bodies from staples, and no springs to buy and install...and get in the way.

A quick search...

Found Uline packaging, online catalog at:
    http://www.uline.com/Catalog_View.asp
    Go to page 209...good photo of strapping...I use 1/2"

and tightner/cutter tool

And the buckle I use is one in center..S-108 I think it says.

Use one strap in middle for nucs and single story colonies, and two straps more toward front and back for 2 and 3 story colonies. I've even moved a yard with 3 trories and two supers. Strapping held well?

I used to staple 600, 3 story colonies for apple pollination every spring. This strapping setup was a real time and equipment saver.

Thorne has spring fasteners like you are describing. If the link below dosn't work, look under their Apiary Hardware section.

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin/...R_ID=286875083

I bought a couple of hives that had the btm board attached with perferated metal strapping, the kind plumbers use to support pipes. It seemed like a cheap method. Now that I'm thinking of it, the side of one of the holes could be snipped off with dikes and it made to "hook" over a nail or screw. It would be much cheaper than a purchased hook and could be any length cut and fashioned.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

I've thought a lot about how to attach a bottom or a top without a lot of expense or trouble. Bailing wire is hard to beat. Any nail or screw would do for something to wrap it on. It could be wrapped on the nail on the bottom rather permanently, and you just wrap it around the one on the bottom box once to attach or unwrap to unattach. I have not tried it yet, but it's cheaper than screen door hooks, which I have tried and doesn't require perfect placement for interchangeability. I would still try to put them dead center and the same distance from the edge, but if they are off a little it shouldn't matter as much as the hooks do. With the hooks, too far and the hook won't latch. To close and they won't stay hooked.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks to all for the info!

<Go to page 209...good photo of strapping...I use 1/2">

Thanks Micheal Palmer. I ordered a kit today.

I got 10 nuc boxes ready this weekend by using hive staples to attach the BB. Don't like putting holes in the boxes.

So the next 10 nuc boxes I pre-drilled the BB in four places and used a long screw to attach. Holes in box are now underneath out of the weather. I like this better.

I was thinking that the next step is to just staple the #8 mesh to the bottom of the nuc and drill an auger hole for the entrance. No more BB to buy or make.

Do I need to make the nucs a little higher so there will be (more)room under the frame bottom bars if we staple screen directly to the box?
    Lat 56N

I like the simplicity of stapling the mesh directly to the bottom, but I can foresee one problem with that idea though.

If you slide the hive at all the edges will catch on the hive stand or whatever and possibly tear the mesh loose or worse tear it off.

Please let us know if you decide to try it stapled directly on the bottom and how that works if you do it.
    Troy