Thread: Universal Board

Hi Guys,

I've got swarm boards, excluders, double screens, single screens, Cloake boards. And I'm experimenting with an upper entrance board this year.

Now most of this stuff is seldom used and it just sets around in my garage. Wouldn't it be neat to replace all this stuff with a universal board. Such a board could be inserted between boxes and the board's function changed without breaking apart the hive.

I've got an idea for such a board at:

www.bwrangler.com/bee/guni.htm

I haven't built it yet and toss this out as a concept only. Would there be a better/easier/stronger way? What do you think?

Regards
    Dennis
    Last edited by D. Murrell; 11-07-2007 at 07:36 PM.

Your idea has appeal, just not sure how to make it work.....i'll have to think on it some.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I like the universal board concept, but not sure about the position of the "slide" when it's in notch 2/3/4? Is it sticking out from the hive? Another approach (more complex though) might bee to use 3 grooves with slides or slides that overlap.
    Triangle Bees

Boy! If I had a website, I would want it to look like bwrangler's. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Exept Dave's bees at the top would all have numbers on them and a calculator on every page.

Not many really good new ideas seem to come along. It's nice to see someone thinking ahead I still haul everything by hand Dennis moving around 150-200 queen excluders and 2 queen boards and double screens and trying to have them where and when I need them is a huge hassle. I think the idea is a good one, I'd be interested to see one made and used and reviewed, you know, when your not busy of course! I'm betting the whole thing could be injection molded (in sections)would weigh a pound and be the next hot item.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions and the compliments. I've slid the slide sideways. And have a new drawing on the site showing it. What do you think?

www.bwrangler.com/bee/guni.htm

Regards
    Dennis

[SIZE=1][ February 12, 2007, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: D. Murrell ][/SIZE]
    Last edited by D. Murrell; 11-07-2007 at 07:36 PM.

Dennis,

Maybe you ought to go ahead and stick a patent on this thing before someone else does and starts making money on your idea.
    Thanks for sharing it with us, though. It is quite innovative.
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

I like the #2 option (sideways slide) best.

Numbered bees would be nice [img]smile.gif[/img] , and a calculator could be injection molded into EVERY slide [img]smile.gif[/img] along w/ 15-diget "inventory control" numbers [img]smile.gif[/img] What a great idea! Thanx Joel [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave;

How about inserting one of these digital ID chips in each bee so you could keep track of drifting?
    doug