Hey Guys!

I’ve been seeing these small wire mesh trash baskets at Lowes, and I think ‘might be able to make a honey strainer out of that thing’.

Sometime you guys go to Lowes, check them out in the bath room section, see what you think.

DonÂ’t make no special trip now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I found a link:
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...BRC&lpage=none

[size="1"][ February 03, 2007, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Pcolar ][/size]

If it didn't work out as a honey strainer, it looks like it would make a great swarm catcher if the mesh wasn't big enough for bees to fit through. It looks lightweight and would provide great ventilation on the trip home -- just tape some cardboard or screen over the open end. Could water them down through the screen to help keep them in their new home. Could even mount it to a pole for longer reach.

I see a cappings strainer. Or a strainer for comb from a cut-out. Or for crush and strain, Or for feeding old wet combs back to the bees. Or for, well that list can go on and on. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I have used the paint strainers from Lowes that are made for 5 gallon buckets and they work well.

I looked at Pcolar's link and pic of the one at lowes and then saw the exact same thing in the office supplies section at Walmart yesterday. It was black instead of white and the mesh is fairly small; definitely small enough to exclude bees or to strain honey.

The ones in Pcolar's link are nickel plated. I don't think I'd what them painted black.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Not a bad idea as long as they arenÂ’t coated with anything that would contaminant the honey. I really like the idea of a swarm catcher. [img]smile.gif[/img] ItÂ’s amazing how a beekeeper looks and home appliances compared to the average Joe.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.