If I build a box-style swarm trap to hold three frames, I calculate that the interior open-space width should be about 4.75". Is this correct?

I am a newbie, don't even have bees yet, but am trying to learn all I can from you guys.

Thanks.
    BEE all you can BEE

I'm using standard medium boxes, and a couple old nuc's I picked up. I figure that if bees will move into a wall or ceiling void they will pick darn near anything available.

My figuring is 4.75" inside will give you 5/16" space on each side between the frame end bar and the wall. Perfect.

I center the frames and then staple the outside frames in place so they stay put and don't swing when moving them around.

We use nuc boxes(five frames) for swarm traps for standardization as all my equipment is deep five frames or 10 frames.

I like the idea of plenty of room for them to start in as it may be several weeks before I get to around to checking on all of my traps.
    Lat 56N

There was a study done on how bees communicate and make a decision on which of a number of possable new locations to move in to. I'm sorry I can't remember the authors but I'm sure someone here on the forum could point you to it or you could do a google search for the terms honey bee swarm consensus.

As best I remember it they found that the bees consistantly selected boxes with a five liter internal volume or greater given the choice.
    doug

Here is a good article on swarming behavior and what size cavities are most attractive to honeybees.
    bees.ucr.edu/reprints/bes56.pdf
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

It sounds like I should probably uses a medium super. Thanks.
    BEE all you can BEE

Hello Bee Bob!

A medium super should work fine.
    I like to use deeps to increase attractability.

Before swarm season, I will swap out the deeps that my bees are in and use these for traps. Used equipment with Propolis and wax residues combined with lure seem to help attract swarms much better.

Here's some ideas for other things that can be used as swarm traps on this link:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/naturebe...60762350195666