I notice not only does Betterbee have a WIDE assortment of eight frame equipment in their new catalog, Mann Lake also has eight frame equipment. Unfortunately the both have it in 14" wide. Mine is all from Brushy Mt (or cut down to match it), who has had a wide assortment for years, and it's all 13 3/4".

Apparently there is a growing demand for eight frame hives. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I know 2 guys with a couple thousand 8 frame hives for sale if your interested.

I beleive Dadant's have it in commericial and budget grade, they just don't advertise it.

>I know 2 guys with a couple thousand 8 frame hives for sale if your interested.

Sure.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

To me for hobbyists 8 frame mediums would be
    a "no brainer". I saw that too MB. It would
    be nice to see it more of a standard even
    in commercial enterprises. It sure is a lot
    easier to handle for sure.

I have been considering switching to 8 frame for a builder hive, Know any sources for plans?
    What is with the 7&? dimension frames? I say an older add in ABJ.

7 1/4 inch frames, maybe? These are for the 7 5/8" depth super.

I dont have any 8 frame box's and im and not knocking them but I have do a question. Would you not have to stack the boxs higher inorder to get the same number of frames per hive for honey?

I stack 3 - 5 mid supers per hive with 2 deeps for brood so this would be a loss of 6 - 10 frames for honey production and 4 frames of brood?

I have been looking at building some 12 frame boxs inorder to add extra frames per box so that I might not have to stack them so tall. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Most I know now run a deep and a medium for
    brood (I am switching over this summer to
    that configuration myself). Many I've talked
    to run a single deep.

But, indeed a 10 frame holds more honey and
    conceptually you would have to stack them
    higher. But for me it's easier to work my
    56 8 frame colonies than the 10 frame.

Stack them higher or harvest more often.

Nick i take it the hives for sale are a long way from NH
    have fun

Yes they are in CA right now but will be in Oregon and Idaho. I am sure semi loads could easily be sent to NH.
    Bruce you liked the eight framers? I was hoping they were working well for you.

[size="1"][ February 03, 2007, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Nick Noyes ][/size]

>I am sure semi loads could easily be sent to NH.

Are these hives with bees?

How much would it cost to ship them, say, to Greewood, NE? How much for the hives? I suppose they are eight frame deeps?

MB I sent you a PM

I just dont see it myself? But I just hobby around with it. A 10 frame box seems to usually have the 2 outer frames barely tended and sometimes are run with fewer than 10 frames anyway so the wax is built out thicker. Now convert that philosopy over to an 8 frame box, maybe 5 good productive frames ??? If its the lighter weight desired then use Medium or shallow 10 frame boxes. A real strong 10 frame hive can stack'em pretty high, now if the 8 frame version is strong, how much higher must it stack? Will it become unstable, will it cause the bees to have to transport nectar further into the hive? Just some of my inexperienced thoughts on this subject?

>Now convert that philosopy over to an 8 frame box, maybe 5 good productive frames ???

Actually you just got rid of the two that weren't being used. Usually they are full from wall to wall.

>A real strong 10 frame hive can stack'em pretty high

Yes.

> now if the 8 frame version is strong, how much higher must it stack?

That depends on how low you started and how often you harvest.

> Will it become unstable

I've never had a problem with that.

> will it cause the bees to have to transport nectar further into the hive?

I've never had a problem with that. If you do, try Jim Fischer's "harvest early and often" philosophy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

We've been producing 8-frame equipment since the 60's. The four stand sizes are 13 3/4", 13 7/8", 14", and 14 1/4" depending on what part of the country you're from (or whatever you desire). We've never advertised it per se, because it's been common knowledge. Pricing is the same as for 10 frame boxes - granted, less wood, but until it becomes more of a standard, it does require extra time to setup and make a production run. I have added it as an option in our online catalog - specify 10 frame or whichever size of 8-frame desired.

Rick
    Western Bee