Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife bought me a electric 18 gauge brad nailer to help me when I'm assembling frames. Anyone here think the 18 gauge brads will be to wide and split the wood frames? Looks like it'll work fine but if I have to I'll get one that'll use thinner brads. Thanks.
    Greg, originally from Maine

18ga is fine. I glue and use 18ga 1-1/4 inch brad nails. Never had a problem. I also use 5/8 inch for the wedge.

They don't split the wood at all.

Thank you kindly for the info and quick response.

what he said.

What they said.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

What we said.

YEP Stressing Glue!

[size="1"][ January 16, 2007, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

I use a air powered staple gun on the wedge and a 18ga finish nailer to put the frames together

What kind of electric stapler do you have that takes long enough brads to do the job? I have only found electric ones that take brads less than one inch long. I prefer not to have to drag an air compressor around to where I want to work, but the air nailers seem to best fit the job.
    doug

Ann bought me a "Task Force" from the local Lowe's. The two longest brads are 1-3/16th and 1-1/4" in length. A woman in our bee club has one{not sure of the brand} and it won't drive the long brads all the way home. I'll try it within the next day with the long brads and let you know how it does. #AC120V and #221500 are the Lowes part numbers on the package if you want to look it up.

I have a craftsmen that drives 1 1/4" brads fine. Bought it used off ebay. Alot easier than a hammer. I was wondering if staples wouldn't work better though?
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

If you don't want to drag a compressor, pickup a used SCUBA tank and an old regulator. The intermediate pressure side is usually around 135 PSI. You can adapt an air chuck fitting. A 3000 PSI fill will last a long time driving 1 1/4 inch brads.

[size="1"][ January 17, 2007, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Ross ][/size]

I use a 1/4" crown by 1" long staple(galvanized) driven with an air stapler from HomeDepot.

Two through the top bar, one in the bottom bar and one in from the end bar into the top bar when assembling frames. I switch to 1/2" long staples in the same stapler when installing foundation (wedges).

I will look at the staple gauge when I am in my shop next but think it is 18Ga.

No splitting problems.
    Lat 56N

If you don't want to drag a compressor . . .

You could use your vehicle's AC pump (w/o Freon) to fill an empty BBQ grill tank.

Don’t laugh! It’s been done [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ross . . .

Is it the 3000 PSI or volume that’s important in driving a lot of brads?

which gun size and nail/brad size would you recommend for nailing hive bodies together, or does it make more sense to just hand nail? Would staples work both frames and hive bodies??? Trying to save $ too

I have a 1/4" wide crown stapler. I buy 1" long staples for frames. I buy 1 1/2" long staples for nailing boxes. I buy 5/8" long staples for nailing shims onto my lids to make the top entrances. I buy 1/2" long staples to nail the 1/4" luan onto 5/16" strips to make my top feeder/inner covers or to nail on the 1/8" hardware cloth on bottom boards. I buy 1 1/4" long staples for nailing a 3/4" board onto a 3/4" board without it sticking out (like nailing in the middle of cleats for handles).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael

what is a "crown stapler"?
    I've seem many references to them here
    does it shoot what I think of as a "staple"
    a U shaped piece of wire?
    what does "crown" mean?
    is that the distance between the 2 wires?
    I did some google searches and found pics of what look like little nails guns, but I can't see any detail
    I'm not a woodworker, I have a machinist background

Dave

>what is a "crown stapler"?

The staple has a "crown" to it. The top is not exactly flat, but rounded.

>I've seem many references to them here
    does it shoot what I think of as a "staple"
    a U shaped piece of wire?

Yes.

>what does "crown" mean?

It's rounded on the top.

>is that the distance between the 2 wires?

The 1/4" is the width of the staple. Outside to outside it's slightly less than 1/4"
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

So the crown stapler covers all or at least most of your beekeeper needs. I like that. I assume this is a pneumatic stapler, not electric? What size compressor? thanks for your help MB and drobbins your followup ?s were also helpful

you can get by useing 1/4 crown staple. I like useing several sizes of brads and staples/ on hive bodys I use the 1/2 x1 1/2 lengh seems to hold lot better no need for glue.
    frames 1/4x1 and 1/4 long enough on the wedge I use 5/8 brads so they can be pulled out and reused
    If you want to use 1/4 on hive bodys you need to glue for sure as staples will back out in time.
    you can buy on harbour frieght.com there about 20.00 staplers for 39.00
    Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast