Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

>would you have to cut a hole in the 100 lb tanks cant you just hook and air fitting to where the opening is at the top?

I'd think you could use the existing valve.

>how many gal of air could a 100lb tank hold?

A 100 pound propane tank has a volume of about 3.5 cubic feet. There's 7.48 gallons per cubic foot so a 100 pound propane tank should hold about 26 gallons of air. This sounds about right since a 100 pound tank holds approximately 25 gallons of liquid propane, and they don't fill them full but leave some room for expansion.

I don't know at what pressure Adee fills their air tanks but I'm guessing around 150 PSI or about 10 times ambient air pressure of about 15 PSI, on a nice day.

Adee is providing an air reservoir equal to about 1/5th their feed tank volume. Based on that assumption, I'd guess (a lot of guessing going on here) that with your hypothetical 300 gallon feed tank you would want at least 2, maybe 3 100 pound propane tanks.
    Dulcius ex asperis

yea that is what i was kinda thinking george. i wish i could find a 60 to 100 gal metal tank for air storage. ill call a buddy up that works on semis to see if he can find a used one and see how big they are. Nick

Hey you might be able to find one of them bigger propane tanks- 250 pound tanks are relatively common. You might be able to find a used one.
    Dulcius ex asperis

i have called all the places around here that sell propane and no one has any tanks one had the 100lb tanks but that was it i was surprized that none had any used ones. i guess keep looking.

Nick,

Keep trying... I was looking for a 500lb propane tank to cut up and build a hot-dipping tank. It took me a little while but I finally found a place about 20mi from me that had a couple. Some places wanted to charge me to take them because of the steel. Several places told me that their insurance policy prohibited them from offering them due to liability. They were concerned that people would try to reuse them as propane tanks after they had been "decommissioned".

The place I found that gave it to me for free was very rural. They were happy to give it to me when I explained what I was going to use it for.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

I would be concerned with the residue left over from the propane. Propane has a chemical added to it to give it a strong order, mercaptain I believe is how it is spelled. This is some nasty smelling stuff. I work at a chemical plant and we use propane in my unit. When we have to cut or weld on a line or vessel that has had propane in it we steam the line or vessel for a least a day with 75 lb. steam. Even after doing this it still has the smell. Has anyone noticed any smell in the syrup coming out of a tank that once had propane in it? Just a thought
    you must endeavor to persevere

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12