Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who all uses them. I know Keith does and hope that he will chime in here on how they work. THanks.

Matt
    Columbia City, Indiana

i know there was a post about this the first part of the year. But i also am interested in this need somthing besides a bucket this year for filling feeders lol. regards Nick

here is the topic i was looking for hope that the link works. So my question is do you have to refill the tank with air more than once or will one filling get you all the way through the tank full? regards Nick

http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubb...;f=12;t=000922

[size="1"][ December 20, 2006, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: swarm_trapper ][/size]

I know where you can get a 1000 gallon one
    very cheap..........

Hey there Matt,
    What i use are old propane tanks (free) they are around everywhere. There will be a story on them in a coming B.C. mag.I will have pics in there so it will be easy to follow.
    The 5000 gal tank that I use is for bulk delivery(tanker).
    The two tanks work on same thoery.
    My 500 gal (mobile) tank works as follows;
    there are two discharge ports ,two inch and one inch at the bottom of tank. On the top of the tank ,2 & 4 inch cam-loc ports, the air entry top, that is plumed to the bottom of tank so when charging the tank it also is mixing.Air regulator for the right amount of pressure (syrup). At my shop I use my shop air compressor, in the field I use the air from the trucks air brake system, both work well.
    Keith
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

I like the idea of your system. The only downside right now is both my friend and I only have small trucks that don't have air brakes. He is looking at a bigger truck though. Right now we are both feeding using Totes like Mannlake sells with a bucket. I have a gear pump that I was planning on using but I really like your setup better and Its a heck of alot cheaper too.
    Columbia City, Indiana

so keith i take it that you will have to charge the tank more than once in a day of feeding?

Swarm_trapper,

At the shop the air compressure is hooked up to the tank with a regulator, the same goes for in the field, but I do let the truck ideal in the field, there is always air pressure in the tanks I run 50 psi, works for me most of the time, sometimes, hot or cold syrup also thick or thin syrup will take more or less pressure. The beauty of this system is that you can change the pressure( air regrulator) to meet your needes one swist of the dail (regulator) and you have the syrup flow that you want.
    Many times my ideas dont work, my scrap pile has been winning lately.
    Keith

Matt,
    At home depot ect...
    they have small mobile air compressors it does take much air(cfm) to run.
    Keith

so would it work keith to just peresurize the tank at the begingin of the day or would she just run out of juice. the method you have sounds slick but my tuck doesnt have the air brakes so im looking for other options. regards Nick

Swarm_trapper Nick,

No, you will loose pressure to fast, any small portable compresser will work gas or 12 volt.
    Keith

you might go to your farm supplier and get you one of those batter operated motors that they have for there 125 gallon sprayers it is designed to keep the pressure up in the sprayer tank.Using your truck battery

That sounds interesting Keith. I might have to look into that. Although the truck I am looking at for my friends operation has air so it will work well for him. Thanks for the ideas.

Matt
    Columbia City, Indiana

hey guys im still thinking about this idea yet just wondering how much air a tank say about 300gal uses to feed could i get by with one of those portabale air tanks like a 20 or 30 gal one?

The beauty of a pressurized feed delivery system is the lack of a need for anything mechanical or electrical in the field. If you have to hook up a compressor to pressurize the feed tank, you might as well just hook up a pump and get on with it. At least that's the way I see it.

To that end, you'd want an air tank with enough capacity to keep the feed tank sufficiently pressurized to force all the feed out at a reasonable speed. There's a mathematical method of figuring this out I'm sure but I don't know what it is. My gut feeling is that a 30 gallon air tank would not hold enough air to completely evacuate a 300 gallon feed tank in a timely manner. Of course it depends on how much air you can force into it.

At pressures that "normal" shop compressors operate at (150 psi or thereabouts) I *think* you'd want a pressure tank roughly 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the feed tank, or a bank of tanks hooked up in series with a combined capacity of roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of the size of the feed tank. I'd probably start out with 1 propane tank (100 pound) and see if that was enough. If not, it would be a simple matter of hooking up more tanks.
    Dulcius ex asperis

The air compressor required would not have
    to put out to many CFM for feed purposes. As
    1 cu-ft = 7.48 gallons.

Where does one look for a "cheap" tank?? And
    how did you safely cut holes in the the empty
    prior to welding? Do you flush them out??

I wonder what the gas company does with out
    of date tanks that are beyond re-certification?

Are "junk" air brake compressors fairly cheap
    to pick up???

>And how did you safely cut holes in the the empty
    prior to welding? Do you flush them out??

Fill `em with water.
    Dulcius ex asperis

I find the real beauty of pressurized tanks is the ability to work hives and feed as you go with out having to run the pump motor continuously. Or to avoid running the motor you wait until the end and feed all at once trying to remember which hives needed syrup and how much.

Even if you are in the yard just to feed it makes it much more pleasant you can talk or enjoy the sounds of the beeyard.

would you have to cut a hole in the 100 lb tanks cant you just hook and air fitting to where the opening is at the top? how many gal of air could a 100lb tank hold? the Adees had a write up on there presurized tanks in the jan bee culture they have a 500gal feed tank with a 100 gal air tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast