Question

Hi Folks -

I'm looking at buying an extractor and have shortlisted the Dadant Ranger and Maxant 3100 (both motorized). Dadant is selling the Ranger for $639 and Betterbee has the Maxant for $615 (prices without the stands/legs). They are both 6 frame radial extractors and the pricing is pretty close.

Considering the 10% discount that Betterbee will have on all their stock next week, I am leaning towards the Maxant (will be considerably cheaper to ship as well, given the distance I am from Betterbee.

All things being equal, I'm not going to skimp on quality for the sake of a few bucks - which brings me to why I'm here. I'm hoping that a few opinionated folks [img]smile.gif[/img] might have some opinions on the relative merits of these machines. Any comments - good and bad would be much appreciated. I'm hoping for some thoughts on:

(1) quality/durability of the stainless steel
    (2) quality of the motor and gears
    (3) quality of the honey gate (unclear whether the maxant includes this
    (4) comments on the degree of control one has over the motor speed

Also - as a side question, is it possible/reasonable to extract as few as two frames with a radial extractor?

Thanks in advance!

Oliver
    Oliver<br />Jamaica, Vermont

I held out for a 9/18 radial. It's worth paying a third again the price for three times the capacity.

&gt;Also - as a side question, is it possible/reasonable to extract as few as two frames with a radial extractor?

Yes. Just put them on opposite sides.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

IMO a six frame extractor just isn't worth the investment. You can't even get a whole super in at a time. As MB pointed out, just add a little extra $ and get the 9/18 motorized. Brushy has one for $790.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...asp?pcode=801A
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I also have been looking into the extractors you are talking about. One thing I did find is that most extractors out there use different types of stainless steel to make there products. Dadant does use 304 stainless and manlake use 301 I have not talked to maxant yet. Most do not say which type of stainless they use in there extractors.
    and there is a reason for it. I have been leaning to Dadant for a couple of reasons. The whole unit is 304 except on some models a nylon bearing is used in the bottom. But they really stand behind there extractors. If you are not familiar with stainless steel types, some are cheaper then others and have some of the quality of a good stainless for which a higher # as 304 is better.
    Now 301 is really ok, it is just not as good in the long haul as 304 is. It is in the mix that the difference is 304 has more chrom and nickle thus a better stainless quality. will they do
    the job of extraction? Dadant actually told me if it did not work out for me I could return it and they would work out something which would do the job for me. Not bad customer relation there. But talk is cheap and bla bla bla. But I am leaning to the
    Dadant extractor. Manlake told me next year they would get there extractors in there catalog with inside views. As they have problems with the insides not all stainless. There using a composit of plastic with embeded fiber. Which they feel will and does work fine. Just that when people have ordered they expect it to be stainless and it is not. Now as far as maxant inside I do not know at this time but intend to call and find out the type of steel and what the inside of there extractor is made of. I do know the bearings on the Dadant larger extractors are stainless, top and bottom ball bearing.

+1 for what JZD said. Ann and I got our Mann-Lake HH-215 a few weeks ago. The shipping company dropped it off the truck onto the driveway denting the SS side of the extractor. The motor mount was bent but the plastic was plenty strong and remained unbroken. We compared about 4 different radials before we narrowed it down to the Maxant 1400M and the Mann-Lake HH-215. After you factor in everything we thought it was the better deal. Check out what Maxant wants for legs for their extractors and you'll see what I mean. I'd be interested in knowing what type of bearings Mann-Lake uses. That sounds like something I should've looked into BEFORE I bought ours. Anyone here know?? I'm sure the Mann-Lake will outlast both myself and my wife as we only have a few hives.
    Greg, originally from Maine