Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

>Anyone done any experiments to check emergence times on HSC or had long enough to make any speculations on it's effectiveness on mite loads?

I haven't, and I'd like to, but the dimensions are similar to the wax coated PermaComb, so I would suspect you'd get similar results.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I put a package on the stuff, sandwitched them in with a Queen "includer" as I had heard of some swarms/packages leaving if placed on HSC. There be eggs in there.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

When using these for brood what do you do for making frames available for drones? Just ordered a box yesterday. For a 3lb package I have ariving in a little under 2 weeks.

Thanks.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Benson View Post
    I put a package on the stuff, sandwitched them in with a Queen "includer" as I had heard of some swarms/packages leaving if placed on HSC. There be eggs in there.

Keith
    I may have spoken too soon.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

I cut 40 frames of it down last fall and made 90 mediums
    since I was bored in the winter and wanted to get some of it into a hive I took 2 boxes of it and laid the frames on their side and poured sugar and some water in them
    after it dried I put them on a hive that was light so it would have enough stores
    the bottom of those boxes has quite a bit of brood in it now
    I also started 2 nucs on it on 3-31-07
    they consisted of 1 drawn wax comb and 4 new HSC combs
    they both have brood in the wax comb and I'll let you know what a full inspection looks like in another 10 days or so
    our main flow should start about then

Dave

>When using these for brood what do you do for making frames available for drones?

I don't worry about drones, there are always plenty of drones around. They always find a place to make some somewhere in the hive.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

New photos of Spring 2007 HSC in Southeastern US

http://zacharyfarmsllc.com/HSC.htm
    SuperCell
    866.343.7191 www.honeysupercell.com

So. It's been almost a year and a half since people started using this stuff and talking about it here. whats the verdict? I've read the entire thread and so for the results have been mixed.

no one has posted anything in quite a while so now I'm wondering if there is a reason for the silance.

It's been a really mixed up year for me. I was ready to pull all my empty supers off in July and start feeding when I started getting a little flow. Now I have only pulled half of my supers and started feeding the hives without supers, it's been a fair summer and fall flow. I haven't been in too many of the hives to take a good look but I can tell you that I have seen mixed results.

My plan for this year was to split and make 50 new HSC hives. Didn't happen. With the late freeze and no spring flow, my bees just didn't have what it took to take off and make splits. I was able to get about thirty of the HSC deeps into service though, some in swarms and cutouts, and a few on small over wintered hives needing more space.

My bees have two choices, HSC or PC. It seems that a lot of them prefer the PC but when it is full they use the HSC, and when consolidating will leave the HSC first. Others hives seem to not care and will use the HSC as quickly as the PC.

For the most part this was a year of getting the HSC used for the first time. What is common in both the PC and HSC is that once it is used by the bees, "broke in" if you will, it is accepted just like if it were their own wax.

Bottom line, It Depends. I will say that some bees like it, most tolerate it, and a few really just don't want to touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    For the most part this was a year of getting the HSC used for the first time. What is common in both the PC and HSC is that once it is used by the bees, "broke in" if you will, it is accepted just like if it were their own wax.

Bottom line, It Depends. I will say that some bees like it, most tolerate it, and a few really just don't want to touch it.
    I'll second this as well. It took forever to get the queen to lay in the HSC. If they put nectar or pollen in it first the queen would then use it. When I took the HSC hive to the mountains it had twelve frames of solid brood. Now the top box is capped honey and the bees don't seem to care that it's plastic at all. I expect the HSC hive to do really well next year when they can expand the broodnest at will.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

I started two packages on it this spring and they were very slow to get going
    we had terrible weather, late freeze and drought all summer, but they are doing pretty good now
    feeding em, hope they take off next spring

Dave

So what's the mite counts been for everyone? Are you still treating for mites?

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandle Bee man View Post
    So what's the mite counts been for everyone? Are you still treating for mites?
    The last time I treated was with OA in fall of 2003.

I started over 100 packages on HSC this year and the jury's still out...some did good, others not so good. Very low mites so far though.

-Rob
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

Default regression using HSC

I put 5 packages on HSC. Four out of the Five did well about normal. I locked them in for 3 days with a feeder before letting them fly - by then they had become accustomed to the plastic and settled in. After 8 weeks I added a second deep during a flow using Dadant 4.9mm wax foundation. Those that drew the second deep out did a fairly good job. They do prefer wax, moving right up from the HSC into the wax.

One of the packages was my best performing hive this year.

First year mite counts don't mean anything to me so I haven't bothered to count, next year will be the true test.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Bought 2 hives worth to put some russian packages on.

Any spring HSC success/disaster stories yet?

I put one package on these April 1, with 6 in the middle and 2 frames of standard undrawn foundation on either side (actually one of those was drawn out). Following advice gleaned from here, I sprayed each side of the HSC with sugar syrup, and shut the bees in (with feeder) for three days.

It was actually kind of a mix up that I got these, I thought I was ordering the small cell foundation. In any event, so far so good. The Queen definitely started out laying mostly in the one drawn out standard cell, but by last Sunday (two weeks in) there was a fairly big area of brood in the HSC.

Only time will tell on the mite counts.

Default Re: Any Honey-Super-Cell reviews yet?

Does anyone have any recent experience with HSC Frames
    Thanks
    Art

Default Re: Any Honey-Super-Cell reviews yet?

There have been some more recent posts. My most recent experience is with the ones that came from China. The new ones are coming from the US but the quality seems have slipped by all accounts on here. Fuzzy edges instead of crisp ones. Seems you have to sand off those fuzzy edges to get them to use it. My experience with the Chinese version was that it sets them back two weeks getting them to accept it and after that it works just like any drawn comb.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF