Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Well, I got home and there my frames are. They're heavy and there are some deformities in the cells cast next to the plastic lines on the sides but nothing I don't think the bees can deal with. Should be very interesting. If someone has used these, do the bees use the frames with the holes in the bottom for stores or fill them in?
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

>do the bees use the frames with the holes in the bottom for stores or fill them in?

Could you elaborate? I don't understand what you're describing.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>there are some deformities in the cells cast next to the plastic lines on the sides

Those holes in the side bars are for the push pins during manufacturing. Also notice that there are fifty-six filled cells on one side of the frame. Those are for pushing the frame out of the mold. The four holes in the end bars are from the centering pins that push it out and the staring on the end of the frame are just stress marks in the plastic.

It's a big chunk of plastic and a bit hard to get out of the mold.

>do the bees use the frames with the holes in the bottom for stores or fill them in?

There are no holes in the bottom of the frames, but if you mean the end bars, no. The end bars set tight against each other and there is no access to them.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Let me elaborate slightly and see if it makes sense - note that I'm just curious if the bees even notice the holes. Take a frame of HSC and look at the side with the thick plastic "lines". Look at a cell that borders the heavy plastic line - it helps to hold it up to the light. At the bottom of some of these border cells the cell wall has either not been completely filled during the injection or collapsed inward. Again, probably not anything affecting the usage, I just wondered if the bees would consider this "cell damage" and repair it or just ignore it.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

The one I have here in the house does not have that, but I have seen it on a few PC frames.

If it is just a void in the drawing out of the cells, the bees just repair it and draw it out further.

Well i think finaly i will try some SC this spring with these new frames.Plan on trying a few ways that i have seen on this thread to get the bees to work it.

A Big thanks to all who have comented on the new super cell.
    Mitch KD8IMF

Bill;

FYI: The comb is pulled out of the mold assuming SC is produced like the PC. Not pushed. (Unless you know something that I don't :-})
    John Seets
    ...When seconds count, 911 is just minutes away....

I was just trying to explain what Max told me. That it was very difficult to get that large stuck piece of plastic out of the mold and needed a lot of 'pushing points' to push against.

All of them are on one side of the frame.

I will try it as soon as they start making it in medium size.

here is a little bump for this post. wondering how will the bees accept it if they have regular frames with brood in and i give them a few in the brood nest maybe throw three in the bottom box. put it in every other frame with brood. So you would end up woth you bottom box with: frame,frame, brood,HSC,brood,HSC,brood,HSC,frame, frame. from what i get out of the above posts it works but takes a little time before they take it. thanks Nick

In my experience, if the only room they have to expand in the broodnest is the HSC they will take it fine. If there is other expansion room available for the brood nest (empty frames, foundation, drawn comb etc.) they will ignore it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

There has not been any posts about HSC in a long time. Spring is coming and we would like to see your comments about your experiences with the HSC frame. Thanks.
    SuperCell
    866.343.7191 www.honeysupercell.com

My 35 years experience tells me that bees prefer wax combs. Send me ten complimentary frames of HSC and I'll give them a try and post about my experience.

I ordered 20 case's so that I can set up 20 splits on it in april I did place a few frames in my feral hive and so far they have packed it with honey, Next week I am going to force them on 10 new HSC and see what the qeen will do.

I'll give you a full report this coming
    spring as I will be installing several
    packages on HSC

I have notice SHB's like to try to hide in the HSC's more than the wax drawn frames. Maybe the bees didn't bother them there. I looked very throughly at the wax frames but I suppose the beetles could have been hiding still. Anyway, it is much easier to kill the beetles in the HSC.

Last spring I had a queen start laying in them right before she disappeared. I think she hadn't been laying for awhile and was superceded. I took them out for winter so the brood nest wouldn't be split up. I will try again in spring.

Yup, I'll be starting many packages on HSC this spring too (beginning of April) and will let you know how things go.

-Rob
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

The inventory at HSC is getting low. If you need HSC soon, it would be a good idea to get your order in. Thanks
    SuperCell
    866.343.7191 www.honeysupercell.com

Spring inspection

Weather has broken and the trees are starting to bloom.

I was getting some hives ready to move out to the farm this evening, the smaller ones first as I will be splitting the larger ones before I move them.

I was impressed that I was able to overwinter small colonies on a single deeps of HSC. I had three singles that had four to six frames of bees and stores, the remaining frames were empty. They each had at least two frames of wall to wall brood! In one of the hives I had one frame of foundationless that was next to brood and they were completely ignoring the natural comb. :confused:

I also had some larger colonies that had moved up and out of the HSC, but it was very evident that they had used it for brooding. I will save it for swarms and install a new box of HSC under that hive with an excluder above so to force the queen down making the heart of the nest HSC again.

I am really liking what I am seeing.

Of note is that the hives I forgot to install the bottom tray under the SBB are smaller in numbers and are not taking off as fast as the ones that were closed up, but those were not large hives, these were the swarms from last summer.

Default HSC experimenting: regression, brood hatch times

Anyone used these for regression? If so how long before you started inserting undrawn frames alongside the HSC? results?

Anyone done any experiments to check emergence times on HSC or had long enough to make any speculations on it's effectiveness on mite loads?

Thanks.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast