Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sounds like this is a good product. I am new at this beekeeping thing, and to be honest, don't really know enough to feel comfortable with my abilities in beekeeping to go this route right now. However, if I make it through the winter with the one hive of muts that I have now, and successfully split next spring, I may try it the following year. I will be interested to know the results of mite control studies on this product.

Comparing the same hive, on 5.4 to the same hive on 4.9, what is the result in mite problems?

[size="1"][ September 27, 2006, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: NCBeginner ][/size]
    Ron

I checked out my Carniolan hive today and found some larva on the side of one of my HSC frames. I tried to place all the the HSC frames between frmaes of brood. This appears to be working out well. I want to check out my other hives when I get time to see how they are making out with the frames. It would also be interesting to place one of the HSC frames in my OB hive to see the decrease in capping and uncapping times.

>Comparing the same hive, on 5.4 to the same hive on 4.9, what is the result in mite problems?

I assume everyone knows my observations. But I will reiterate. There are a lot less mites with the same bees on 4.9mm.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The thread started with:

> Been waiting for some comments before I shelled out some money.

It will take at least a full year of experience before most of us who have bought HSC can draw any conclusions.

At this time the HSC frames are pretty much being ignored by my hives.

Most of the HSC frames are alternated between brood frames in established hives. All of them were sprayed with HBH or sugar water before installation.

- Three hives have ignored the HSC frames
    - Two hives have built burr comb between the HSC and brood frames, but put nothing in the HSC cells.
    - One hive has stored pollen in scattered cells across two of the HSC frames

A late swarm was put into one hive with HSC and bare frames. The queen used about 6 square inches for brood, and then switched exclusively to freshly drawn wax.

It's too soon to decide whether HSC frames are good, bad or indifferent since they were introduced late in the year (July) when there is no brood buildup going on, and the population is declining in preparation for winter.

Introducing them was not expected to be successful, the objective was to let the bees get used to them, crawl over them, lose the plastic smell, and be available for spring buildup.

When it comes to the queen's preference for laying, my experience is:

- New comb on starter strips
    - New cells built on wax foundation

I used plastic frames for honey supering, but have had a few queens use the cells for laying. In general, my experience has been that bees use plastic foundation as a last resort and are very prone to building burr comb on them and between them.

All of my hives are from swarms or feral removals (in walls, ceilings etc) and the brood chambers are either feral comb (in frames) or comb built from starter strips. The cells are small or tending that way, so the cell size of HSC is not the barrier to acceptance it might be in hives with the larger cells based on standard foundation.

It will be interesting to see what happens in spring.

JP

Well, I put the checks in the mail today. Ordered 50 deeps from Browning Cut Stock and 500 HSC frames from Max.

I think that like Permacomb, if the bees are given no choice but HSC they will use it. And once it is used they will always readily use it.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

>It will take at least a full year of experience before most of us who have bought HSC can draw any conclusions.

That's pretty much it. Mine have been accepted, but I can't even speculate on mite control for at least a year, other than the fact that it is smaller cells and it SHOULD help.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Are they only making the HSC frames now? They used to have traditional plastic frames.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I'm sure that all the other products are still available, I tried to find the link for you but only come up with the HSC link:

http://www.honeysupercell.com/sblog/index.php

Give Max a call on the toll free number and the nice lady will give you the web site info.

Here is an origianl link that I used a long time ago. As you can see the page does not work like it did.
    http://www.honeysupercell.com/6928.html
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I hope they make the HSC in medium frame size somtine in the future. The deep frames are heavy.

>I hope they make the HSC in medium frame size somtine in the future. The deep frames are heavy.

YES!

The GF and I set up at a two day fair this last weekend. She sold ceramics, honey pots, mugs, etc. and I sold honey. We had a good weekend.

I again set up an OB hive to draw attention to our booth, which works great.

I have a small hive of one deep of HSC. It's not full, just about eight frames, three of those are just partially filled with honey. Of the five full frames, one is PC with wax drawn under about half of it.

I got up at the crack of dawn and waited until I could see in the twilight to pull frames for the OB hive. I found the queen on a nice frame of HSC and slid the frame into the top of the hive. In the bottom of the box I put one frame feeder of syrup and the other frames of brood and food.

I was able to see the queen laying for two days in the HSC, always on the same side for some reason. It got too dark to put them back into their hive until Monday morning.

I put the frame with the queen into the original hive box. While I was looking at the one PC frame with the drawn wax on it admiring the full frame of brood when I noticed another queen!

There was no evidence of a queen cell in the hive, but there was defiantly at least two queens in the hive with no fighting going on and an impressive amount of brood.

Interesting observation is that the 4.9 bees don't look any different than 5.0 bees. I was expecting them to look smaller than my PC bees.

There's not much difference between 5.0 and 4.9mm. There's a LOT more difference between 5.4 and 4.9mm. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've just been in a few of my hives and looked for brood in the HSC. None. Give them (Her) a choice and it seems they will us anything but HSC. I re-arranged the HSC frames to the outside of the box to provide a brood core with the Pierco which has brood, in the center for the winter. They are putting pollen and honey in some of the HSC.

In the spring I'll force the issue by giving a few hives no choice and see how that goes. Lots of wax moths around here. I want this stuff to work !
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

I have question for the HSC experts here. By the way, this is my first post on beesource, it looks like a great site.

I've planning on installing two packages of Italians next spring. What do you think of using the HSC at the time of installation? Am I asking for trouble or would the queens be more likely to use the HSC if nothing else is available? I would lightly wax and syrup the HSC prior to use.

Thanks for your feedback.
    "If ignorance were truly bliss, I'd probably smile more often"

The folks at HSC are super attentive. Each time I ordered they called to chat about how to use the frames.

Give them a call.

From what they told me and my experience, either use HSC exclusively in the brood box, with a queen excluder above, or you'll not likely get them to accept it for brood. Once they get going on it it seems to go fine, but if the queen has a choice, she'll take wax over plastic every time.
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

The protocol for packages is to cover
    the entrances with 1/8th wire, install
    them with a frame feeder and nothing
    but HSC. Leave them for a few days until
    you remove the wire.

Max Hamby the manufacturer, is suggesting that a queen excluder be installed just above the bottom board to keep the queen in until she starts laying.

Ordered som HSC to try a package on. I don't know when it will ship or arrive but I'm looking forward to seeing how it works.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

I will probably order another 20 frames of HSC in the spring. I would like to set up a hive with all HSC then feed sc foundation to the hive hoping they draw it correctly. I also want to place some in my ob hive so I can really see what is going on.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast