Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

>can you get it in mediums? I did not notice mediums available on the site

Medium frames/foundation are available (in drone sized cells of 6.0mm with fake eggs in the bottom)

But not the fully drawn small cell.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I ordered 20 frames of the HSC frames. Any ideas where to put them?

I have 4 hives and 2 nucs of Russians and one hive of Carniolans. (Probably with a little Russian since the queen prob. mated with some Russian drones).

I would like to introduce them to the Carniolans. The hive has 2 deeps currently.

>I ordered 20 frames of the HSC frames. Any ideas where to put them?

I'd spray them with syrup (preferably with Honey Bee Healthy in the syrup) and feed three of them into each of the two brood boxes preferably in the middle of the brood.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

When converting to mediums, would a wood bottom bar be added to the cut polypropolene frame sides? I assume the cut frame would need to be reinforced somehow? I would like to get some for honey as my bees are building comb very slowly right now.

IMO I wouldn't cut these down for honey use.
    Permacomb is more appropriate for that and
    cleaper too. It comes only in mediums.

Max called yesterday, and we had a long talk about these frames, and whether they are working as well as I could hope for. Other than initial problems with introduction, the queens seem to take to them well after the initial "newness" is wore off. As I told him, I would not put a full super of these on a hive, and expect them to use them for brood right away. My expericane has been that they need to use them for something else first, like honey and pollen storage, and then the queen will use them. Spraying with sugar water/HBH, will help, but is not going to get the queen into them right away. I have found the best acceptance by alternating HSC with drawen frames, and then in a few weeks removing the drawen frames and replacing with frames of HSC. The drawen frames can then be used in the second brood chamber, again alternating with HSC. I also leave drawen frames to the outsides of the broodchamber for them to use as drone brood/honey storage. Once these frames are used, there should be no problem with use in other hives that have not had HSC in them before. I would not use these for swarms if they are brand new. Overall I am very happy with the HSC frames, and feel that these will pay for themselves with the savings of mite treatments alone. I'm trying to talk him into making them in black, so if everyone request black, we might twist his arm enough to get some!!
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I bought a 20-frame box to try Supercell out and the cells look larger than expected.

Here are photos of Supercell, plastic foundation and drawn comb incorporated into a single image for direct comparison.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/fc8c6238.jpg

All of the supercell I measured was 4.9mm inside diameter. 4.9mm comb is 4.8mm inside diameter. But according to the manufacturer, the bottom of the cell is .1mm smaller, so that would make it closer to 4.85mm average diameter from bottom to top. That's pretty close to what I'd want. A natural cell wall is .1mm. The SuperCell cell wall is closer to .5mm (I don't have any in front of me to measure right now). So since the cell walls are different (bee made vs man made) the important thing is the inside diameter. The inside diameter of a 4.9mm comb is 4.8mm. The average inside diameter (from top to bottom) of a SuperCell is 4.85mm.

JaiPea.... like MB said.....

Measurements have to be different with HSC
    due to the cell wall thickness. Measured over
    10 cells those tenths of a mm add up to a
    significant amount.

Anyone have any observations on varroa control? I guess it should be just as good as natural small cell. I was planning on phasing in all mediums but with the instant regression, fairly indestructible frames, no assembly/wiring etc. the HSC just seems to be quite a boon to the beginning hobbyist who's worried (aren't we all) about V-mites. The only long-term downside I can see w/the HSC is the weight (heavy) and it only comes in deeps. I'm surprised there's not more activity on this thread since HSC has been so eagerly awaited. Will Michael Bush wax coat a few of these to make 4.7mm cells, which are within the range for brood cell size, and see if there's another 12 hours or a day less capping and/or emergence time? Wax-dipped HSC might just be an almost complete varroa killer if it only allows 1 to 1 or even lower varroa reproduction. MB, if you'll make a HSC wax coated frame I'd be glad to stick it in my OBH and start keeping records. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I haven't had any plans to wax coat it. After all, it's already the right size, and wax coating is a lot of work. I've only had it in the hives for a couple of months so it's difficult to assess the mite control, but I would expect it to be the same as the wax coated PermaComb.

I just installed 10 frames HSC in my Carniolan hive. I placed the HSC super between two deeps and sprayed all the frames with sugar syrup. I was holding off installing the frames waiting for a queen excluder. I was told by the manufacturer that the best way to introduce the frames was to confine the queen in the super holding the HSC frames by using a queen excluder and to stoping off the entrance of the a hive entrance for a day to prevent her leaving. I have not received the queen excluder yet so decided to go for it. I still have 10 HSC frames to use and have thought I might place them in the center of my other hives deep supers. My Carniolan hive appeared to be the worst off with mites when I first installed the nuc. However since I installed SBB and have been using the Dowda method all the hives appear to be low on the mite count. All my other hives are Russian. The only thing that is really bothering me is the lack of honey production in the hives so I have started feeding the bees. I think this hot weather has put a damper on honey production.

Thought it was time to bring this thread back to the top. Lots of folks are waiting for assessments of the HSC product. HSC is probably waiting also! What's the word? Anyone?

OK if this thread is alive, I got my first lot about 6 weeks ago. Two weeks ago I was taking off some honey and saw that they frames were well accepted.

Keen to get more small cell going, I got and put in another 5 boxes of frames.

Long term, the jury is still out, but I like what I see so far ( with the eyes of 2 years in beekeeping and only 9 hives ).
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

I find it's the same as PermaComb as far as acceptance (unless you wax coat the PermaComb). The cell size is an improvment (unless you wax coat the PermaComb). But, alas, it's only available in deeps... and I love my mediums.

Hi Guys,

Has anyone seen any bald headed brood on their Honey Super Cell? Any additional observations?

Regards
    Dennis

I have a couple of nucs with four HSC on the outside, one PC in the center and PC and or cut out comb above. They have used the HSC for brooding and a little honey storage, but quit using it in favor of the PC.

In the hives with 100% HSC this is not a problem. I plan to set up full deeps with HSC and one medium of PC above for broods next year. I will have to use excluders if I am going to keep the queen down in the HSC.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I have placed my HSC around the middle of the hive with standard frames on either side of it. They are starting to use it for honey and pollen storage. Originally I had the HSC in the middle of the hive with each HSC frame right next to each other. The bees were ignoring except for the HSC frames on the outside. They would use one side of these frames that were next to a standard frame.

By the way what is permacomb?

I have just extracted my first honey from the HSC frames. I never intended to have honey in them, just brood, but .... ????
    This is a bit of a pain because about half of the frame had raised cells that were easy to uncap and the other half was flush or slightly recessed. I used a scratcher/comb like thing that worked OK but it is slow. I'm waiting on the Hackler honey punch that Micheal Bush suggested.

No problem at all with acceptance. I'll be in the hives again this weekend and see if they have any brood in them. All the rest of the frames are a mix of white and black Pierco and I like them too.

Really hoping they will get brood in the HSC for the small cell benefits.
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast