Thread: Golden Bee Suit

"Has anyone received a sting in this suit yet?"

I have not yet. Others have but rarely and
    often due to operator error.

"About how expensive are they?"

Last I heard they start at $199 and go up to
    $239 depending on size. This includes shipping
    and a pair of useless gloves.

"Why would people was their suits every week? I have had my suit all season, and I haven't washed it once. It's not dirty at all!"

They don't.... It depends on your activity
    and sweat factor I suppose. Also if the suit
    gets stung (not you) the scent can make them
    angry.

"Do people wash their gloves? I have heard that if you crush a couple of bees the alarm pheromone can get on them and make the bees nervous when you go to work with the hive. But my gloves are made of leather and I'm afraid it would make them stiff!"

If my glove gets a sting I quickly give the
    area a good puff or two of smoke. You can wash
    the gloves. Here's Wells Lamont directions for
    leather gloves.

Leather Gloves

In order to maintain shape of the gloves, wash gloves while wearing.

* Remove excess dirt by using a mild abrasive cleanser.
    * Rinse cleanser and dirt from glove with cold water.
    * Apply a mink oil based leather conditioner while gloves are wet.
    * Remove gloves from hands and hang dry.

>Has anyone received a sting in this suit yet?

I've had a light one on a shoulder where the fabric was pulled tight and I was not wearing a shirt. Not a strong, well planted sting, but a sting, nonetheless. That's the only one I've had.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>Has anyone received a sting in this suit yet?

posted October 03, 2006 12:04 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >new Golden Bee Suit stories or updates?!

Well, it happened again. Did another job and got another dozen or so stings in the side of the neck.

It wasn't the velcro after all. Around the base of the hood, there is an area that is about two inches wide that attaches the hood to the suit. The strip has a band of material on it, but does not offer 100% doubled protection around the neck. There is about one inch above and below the doubled up area that is single ply. I suppose that it is made this way to let the hood twist on the suit.

But when setting down on a bucket and looking down, or standing up and reaching up into ceiling joists, the material folds and any crawling bee trapped in the fold is able to sting through the single ply material.

Seems to be in the same place on the left side of my neck, I'll get about a dozen stings in the space the size of a silver dollar. I finally got tired of it and wrapped a bandana around my neck and that took care of it. I may look into sewing something in the suit.

This has never happened while working hives, just when doing cut-outs, setting down with my head down, or reaching up over my head.

It is still the best there is, but proves that nothing is perfect.

>"Why would people was their suits every week? I have had my suit all season, and I haven't washed it once. It's not dirty at all!"

>I have not yet. Others have but rarely and
    often due to operator error.

I don't see it as operator error when I get sopping wet from sweat and honey dripping from the ceiling while doing a cut-out. During the season I will do at least three cut-outs a week and get my suits filthy having to wash them at least once a week each. My oldest suit has been washed over 50 times and my newer one half that.

If I was just peeking in the hive I would probably never have to wash it, but I do hard dirty work in mine.

[size="1"][ December 04, 2006, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: BULLSEYE BILL ][/size]
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Bill

Sounds like you have a "DIRTY JOB" why not invite Mike Rowe along for a day, when you have say 2-3 very hard cutouts to do .
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Did you catch the show he did with the Oregon(?) Beekeepers? They were not doing cut-outs, but the line my GF and I laugh over while extracting is the "never lick your fingers in the honey house!" That's what they told him when he was botteling.

I would have to have a really nasty overhead job just for him. Lots of insulation and attic dust falling in the face. Honey dripping down soaking you and everything in your grasp. Sheetrock, lathe and plaster debris. Nails ripping your clothing and puncturing your skin. Bees crawling all over, getting into any little opening they can find. Hot sweaty enclosed room sealed off from the rest of the house and no air conditioning. All while teetering on a step stool or ladder, with narrow rungs bruising the bottom of your feet.

Yeah, I could show him a real good time.

I wouldn't let him use either of my GBP suits, the dramatic stings and latter removing thereof would make good viewing.

Ya, i'd watch that one .

Bullseye, why don't you contact the show, Dirty Job and do just that? They might just respond.
    Walt

I'm a little gun shy when it comes to being on camera. I was on the news four times last year, once for my other job.

Some reporters make you look pretty good, and some will twist your words around until you wonder how they got that out of what you said.

Still it might be fun. Was that on Learning or History Channel?

Bill

See what I got ya into.... .

I just got off the phone with these nice folks and they claim to be caught up and are craking suits out in 3-4 weeks. Price increase in 2007 by $20. How reasonable!

Yahoo !!!!
    Ordered mine Jan 8 got it Feb 5 fits great.

Anyone have any luck getting a refund from these folks?

I ordered my suit before the holidays.
    I have called at least 6 times regarding my suits and each time I'm told that I only ordered one suit. After some persistence on my part they seem to realize their mistake and then say that my suits should ship next week. So far, that has been the case for about 2 months.

Has anyone received a refund?

Default Re: Golden Bee Suit

Anyone order a vented Jacket in the last year from Golden Bee that had to be made? Are they still dragging things out for months, or is their turnaround better now?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213