Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Frames

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  ikeepbees 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Western Bee Supplies, Inc. manufactures the frames for Dadant? What beekeeping suppliers actually manufacture their own frames? Some of the wood frames that I have been getting from Dadant have been roughly cut. Has anyone had a similar experience? Maybe some of you woodworkers can explain why I am not getting a smooth cut on my wood frames.

#2 ·
>Does anyone know if Western Bee Supplies, Inc. manufactures the frames for Dadant?

Last I heard, yes. Dadant now owns them, I believe.

>What beekeeping suppliers actually manufacture their own frames?

Walter T. Kelly does. I'm not sure about the rest, but since they all seem somewhat different I think a lot of them make their own.

>Some of the wood frames that I have been getting from Dadant have been roughly cut. Has anyone had a similar experience?

No.

>Maybe some of you woodworkers can explain why I am not getting a smooth cut on my wood frames.

Try a plywood blade with a lot of teeth if you want a smooth cut. The more teeth the smoother the cut. Also, the more RPMs on the saw the smoother the cut. Also the sharper the blade the smoother the cut.

#4 ·
A dull blade will be splitting the wood on the back side of a cross-cut, and give rough cuts when ripping.
If you have more than one blade and sometimes cut plywood and similar materials - keep one blade for this, as these materials wears the blade fast.

---
Thor

#5 ·
A smooth cut is produced by a blade w/ MANY teeth. The more teeth on the blade, finer the cut.

A dull blade creates a cut w/ burn marks and produces a lot of smoke.

Most "rough cut" commerical stuff I have seen is caused by moving the blade (or item) to fast (almost faster than blade can cut).

#6 ·
I just got back from Dadant branch in Albion an hour ago. I was asking him about their woodenware (but not frames specifically) The guy there told me they own their own lumber mill in Montana. Said they use Ponderosa Pine. Not sure if that is for the frames or just the hive bodies. ALso not sure if that is the Western company referred toabove.

#7 ·
Just checked out the Western Bee Supplies web site and it sure does look like MB is right. The prices are identical to what I paid for medium supers and frames (commercial grade) and looks identical. ALso says in Montana and they only use Ponderosa Pine.

I haven't noticed any problem with their stuff, but I haven't started putting it together yet. I will let you know monday, i have 200 frames and 20 supers to build...

#10 ·
Len, When your saying "not a smooth cut" Is it just rough? possibly dull or wrong blade. Does it have sawblade marks? This would be angled marks on wood not leaving a smooth cut, caused by blade not running in line with fence causing Back of blade to hit wood leaving sawmarks. If none of this is it, check for wobble in blade,that could be caused by bad bearings or out of balance shaft. Every so often I would get a blade that was just bad even when new(needed more or less tension)DML brand blades are usually good blades.

#11 ·
Western Bee has always been owned by Dadants. Whether that has always been a "big secret" or not, I don't know. We supply them woodenware and also compete directly against them. Same applies to other competitors who have no vested interest in us.

Yes, we use Ponderosa Pine exclusively. Always have. We are the manufacturer and we sell all the other necessities to beekeeping as well.

Rick
WBee

[ February 22, 2006, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: wbee ]

#13 ·
wbee; :confused: Just where the heck are you guys in Polson?? Tried to find you last year when we went to Browning and again on the way back. Not a clue as to where to find you. :confused:
Might try again this year. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.