So I loaded up my air compressor into my pickup and went out to my beeyard to try to harvest a few frames of honey to make potions out of and it works so great, way better than the bee brush. A few puffs gets almost all of them off and they are hella confused after blown off, but some come and headbutt me like crazy till I leave but I would highly recommend, though a bit pricey from the ones Ive seen in bee mags. What I used is a 30 gallon, 5hp air compressor with this http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
    but a bunch of people always come by my place with one of these http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...cm_ite=aircomp to fill up and use for there own purposes. So you could probly put something like this together for pretty cheap, Ive seen some crazy sales for these tanks go for 15 bucks add the gun and you got a 30 dollar bee blower.
    Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever .... Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.

Remember, too much of a good thing isn't.

I would be concerned about too consentrated of an air flow killing or maming the bees.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

When it comes to blowers, it's about volume not velocity. Too much velocity is very hard on the bees. It takes a volume of air to move the bees without harming them so much.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Yeah that was one of my concerns but I found that if I blew them off with the gun 1-2 1/2 away, they looked confused, but fine.

Also if you dont have an air compressor to fill it up from, usually at gas stations you can use there for a quarter, and some gas stations let there patrons use them for free.
    Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever .... Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.

Some time ago I posted a note to the effect that I had purchased a cheapie ($30) Toro power sweeper, a blower for use in the apiary. Used it today and found that it worked as well as the Ryobi gasoline blower I had when I first started blowing bees out of the supers.

The little electric blower is very light, easy to handle and clean--the Ryobi was clean as it did not direct the exhaust into the blower. I bought the Toro because my new Poulan blower DOES direct the exhaust into the blower stream.

The little Toro will run off the smallest of the gasoline fired generators or even off an inverter hooked to an auto alternator. For someone whose bees are in the back yard the blower and an extension cord are just the ticket.
    Ox
    Oxankle

Anybody thought of using a cordless vacuum cleaner. You should be able to modify it by attaching something on the outlet side to act as a nozzzle. It may not have enough volume but it may be worth a try.

The only time I've used a leaf blower on supers, I was left with thousands of bees unable to fly. They crawled back towards their hive, but I doubt they did much good there without functional wings. Use caution with leaf blowers. I'm not saying it can't be done without hurting most of your bees, but I didn't care for it. I ended up brushing some bees anyway too, as some bees just wouldn't let go.

Hey mdotson,

I grew up in Claxton and now live in South Clinton. Anderson County Beekeepers Association meeting is every third Monday of the month. Come by! Are you from Powell?

<<Also if you dont have an air compressor to fill it up from, usually at gas stations you can use there for a quarter, and some gas stations let there patrons use them for free.>>

Geeze I'm feeling old. That used to be EVERYWHERE...free air that is...now it the exception.

BubbaBob...shuffling on off...

Ha! Isn't that the truth. (I mean the free air comment, not the feeling old comment.) I guess you could say the air is still free, just not the compression. Still, it always seemed so neighborly that folks would let you have some compressed air when you needed it.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

lol its a service, and like all services, they cost $$$$

The only time I've used a leaf blower on supers, I was left with thousands of bees unable to fly. They crawled back towards their hive, but I doubt they did much good there without functional wings. Use caution with leaf blowers.
    I'm glad that someone was observant enough to
    notice this common collateral damage from blowers.
    People have actually argued with me, claiming that
    this simply "does not happen". I guess that they
    were lucky, very careful, or just blind.

Free air, clean your windshield, check your oil, check tire pressure, wipe off headlights, check the anti freeze and gas was 21 cents a gallon and the smile was free also.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

I found a large box fan to be much more useful than a leaf blower. Set it up beside where you are going to brush bees. Put window screen on the intake side, just in case. And brush the bees off the frames. They have a hard time getting back to the super because the moving air.
    The leaf blower seemed impossible to use without ripping wings to me, as many bees just won't let go with light blowing.
    I find a rake infinitely more useful than a leaf blower too.

I am not sure what a shiznit is, but I am pretty sure terramycin will take care of it.

Beemaninsa, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shiznit for all of your modern slang terms.

Danny

LOL all parents should have this website, with the new coded profanities that are out now that this website is like a goldmine of info to understand what there speaking, which is almost alien.